1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

3 Year KS4 at RE

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by nathg, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Hello,
    I wonder if people can help me. Key Stage 4 at the school I work is going to run over 3 years from September 2012 and therefore I would like some ideas as to how GCSE RE can be spread out over the 3 years.
    From a number of threads I have read the SC is pretty much for the chop so doing that first and then going FC seems to not be worth it.

Can anyone offer any advice/ideas?
    Thanks

2. Hello,
    I wonder if people can help me. Key Stage 4 at the school I work is going to run over 3 years from September 2012 and therefore I would like some ideas as to how GCSE RE can be spread out over the 3 years.
    From a number of threads I have read the SC is pretty much for the chop so doing that first and then going FC seems to not be worth it.

Can anyone offer any advice/ideas?
    Thanks

3. Maybe I've got it completely wrong but I thought that this year's year 9 students (so starting GCSEs in Sept 2012) could only do their exams in the summer of certification (i.e. summer year 11) therefore doing a course over 3 years seems slightly disadvantagous to the students as they would possibly be examined in May / June year 11 on stuff that they did in Sept Year 9.
    We used to do SC in year 10 and FC in year 11, but have to rewrite SOW / Assessments to fit around this new way (we are going to alternate between SC and FC units)
    Or have I got this completely wrong?
    S

4. I'm very confused [​IMG]
    My current Year 10 can still do the Short Course exam in May 2012 and then top up to Full Course in 2013?
    So when current Year 9 start their GCSE will they still be able to do the 2 "Short Course" units but just do both exams in Year 11?
    I need a holiday, a biscuit and a stiff drink (and not necessarily in that order!)

5. WillowFae

WillowFae New commenter

I thought it was that they can take the exam in any year, but they can't do two exams. So if they are doing the SC fine, but if they are doing the FC they have to sit both exams together at the end of the two years (but that could be in Year 10 if they start in Year 9). But I might be wrong.