1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

3 year GCSE - Teaching for 2016

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by rebeccavitkovitch, Oct 11, 2015.

1. rebeccavitkovitch

rebeccavitkovitch New commenter

Hi,

I am teaching a 3 year GCSE for the Y9s in my school at the moment. As the specifications have not yet been accredited I was just wondering what everyone in my position is doing?

I have just taught a range of opinions, reasons why, connectives and infinitives (treating students as if they are starting from scratch as I find this works best with my students.)

Next I was thinking to do a blitz of all tenses. What do people think of this approach? What are you doing?

Thanks for any help.

Rebecca :)

2. -myrtille-

-myrtille- Occasional commenter

Hi,

We're also on a 3-year KS4 and I write the Y9 SoW.

For now, we've kept the SoW more or less the same. Our topics are:

1) L'avenir (roughly Expo 3 Module 2) - focus on infinitives, near future tense, future tense, school subjects, jobs, etc. Si clauses with the more able. We like this as a start to Y9 because it feels more grown-up (talking about the future rather than hobbies, etc.) but goes right back to the building blocks of language and checking they know a range of key infinitives. Opinions come into it but aren't the main focus.
    2) Mes intérets (roughly Expo 3 Module 1) - opinions of activities/film/TV, including direct object pronouns with the more able. Then onto the perfect tense, what you did at the weekend, a recent visit to the cinema/film review.
    3) Healthy living, including the imperfect tense to contrast lifestyle when you were younger and now. So by the end of this module pupils have covered all of the main tenses and are expected to use them in this topic.
    4) Celebrities - recap basics for describing people and giving opinions, plus a range of tenses. Speaking skills.

Last year I had top set and I did some work on all tenses between modules 1 and 2. My resources are here, if any use to you: https://www.tes.com/teaching-resource/series-of-lessons-tenses-conjugation-verb-table-6448723 However, they do rely on pupils using verb tables in the middle of the dictionary, which is not so useful for the new GCSE as they won't have dictionaries in the writing exam any more.

In terms of assessment we're doing:
    -FCSE Reading and Listening papers just to ensure we're assessing these skills every module. After the first module will probably pull something together out of past GCSE questions for the more able end though.
    -Translation tasks - some at sentence level, some paragraphs, as this will be assessed in the new GCSE for the first time.
    -Unseen, unprepared writing tasks where pupils get a task and have to respond to it the best they can in 30 minutes or so. I'll see how it goes when we do the first assessments this week!

I haven't quite got my head around speaking yet. But because it takes so long to conduct assessments, last year we only did it in the summer term anyway. So I figure by the time we're doing the speaking assessments there'll be more information available.

I don't think it matters too much how we assess pupils in Y9 because there'll be plenty of time in Y10 and 11 to prepare them for the new GCSE exam styles. The main thing is to move away from set phrases and memorised drafts as per controlled assessment, and focus more on grammar and communication.

3. MrTeacher100

MrTeacher100 New commenter

I'd cover the basics of grammar and ensure the students are comfortable with using a variety of tenses in a piece of extended writing, not just in isolation. Also, I'd look at the areas of holidays and school because they are almost certain to appear of the new specs. Produce vocabulary mindmaps for each section so the students have revision material to revise from, and get them unto the habit of writing / speaking from memory without source material.

Hope I've helped

4. veverett

veverett Occasional commenter

Hi Rebecca,

I think the GCSEs are not going to change enormously from the draft versions so prepare for what the exam boards have proposed - most of it will happen.

I'd say lots of vocab for a wide range of topics, translation based for now on your repertoire of opinions etc and knowledge of tenses, ability to describe pictures, respond spontaneously to questions, grammatical understanding that will equip them to write in exam conditions...

MrTeacher100 likes this.
  5. rebeccavitkovitch

rebeccavitkovitch New commenter

Thank you so much for your replies - I really appreciate them. I think I will start with schools and cover all the grammar within this as that can be done fairly easily. Really helpful! Thanks all