1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

3 weeks left of PGCE TP and struggling

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by sleepyhead, Apr 22, 2012.

1. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

It would help to know what you ARE doing...
    For example, one of my bug-bears as Professional Mentor is when there is low level chat and the teacher just talks over it. Most of my trainees get fixing that as a target at some point, and my approach is this:
    "Right, eyes on me. Mouths shut. Stop fiddling. Eyes on me. Thank you"
    WAIT for total silence.
    If I am interrupted even the minutest amount I stop, mid word if needs be, and fix the offender with THE LOOK (I had a student once who told me I had evil eyes. I took this as a compliment) and say "Thank you, Bob" in a tone that promises suffering.
    I can keep this up for a long time... and the rest of the class usually get annoyed with Bob and tell him to shut up!

I simply WON'T be talked over... never have, but I also have a vocal cord issue which means raising my voice is only for emergency use.