1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

3 things that have made you smile today.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Milkandchalk, Apr 27, 2010.

1. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

1) Looking round the room in my Year 11 lesson to see them all on task and really thinking and doing. I had thought I might never achieve that again with this lot.
    2) A colleague coming to tell me that one of said Year 11s had told her that she had never learnt as much Maths through her whole school career as she has since she moved to my group in January.
    3) Generally today has been a good day. Lessons have gone well. All the kids turned up for their extra support at lunchtime. I also had a lovely gossip with colleagues at the end of the day.
    4) Hubbie has had a soppy day and sent me loads of lovely text messages.
    5) My old school had Ofsted today. Another reason to be glad I left.
    6) I have lots of happy things to post on the smiley things thread and a smiley things thread to post them on [​IMG]

2. 1) Waking up to get work for the first time this week...and now have work for the rest of the week :D

2) A lovely chat with a family friend and her son on the phone

3) Being able to do Wii fit in my room without having to move the tv so I can see it before I start!

3. 1) I had to go somewhere and got lost. A very nice bus driver stopped his bus and got out all his timetables and sorted me out.
    2) Having got where I needed to be, it was pouring with rain and I had to still wait another half hour for my next bus. A nice guy from a kiosk came over and brought me a cup of coffee and rang me a taxi to save me waiting in the rain (I was not in my town, so wouldn't have had a clue which taxi company to call).
    3) I got a phone call offering me a new (better) job.

4. ian60

ian60 New commenter

1) I had a cold beer when I came home
    2) I had another cold beer
    3) I searched the fridge and found a 3rd cold beer!
    Smiles all round.

5. 1) smiles this morning from my little baby
    2) going to the seaside to do something nice for my OH, who was working down there today- namely let him spend time with his baby as he hasn't for ages due to working so hard
    3) the sun coming out over the sea and the sand.... really soppy and cheesy but made me feel happy to be alive and appreciative of the simple things :)

6. Milkandchalk

Milkandchalk New commenter

• Getting excited about addressing all the envelops for mum's surprise 60th
    • Being told that the kind of cargoes a canal boat can take are mainly 5 seaters but sometimes smartcars
    • The car thermometer saying it was 18 degrees at lunchtime

7. 1) telling a year 11 to 'stop playing with my balls' ( the type you have in a ball pool - used to demo atoms/elements etc)
    2) year 11s actually making constructive revision notes
    3) one class' questions about reproduction

8. This week my African drumming students have been complimented by an amazing djembefola I admire - they have been "well taught!"
    I have got the last of my main crop potatoes in at last.
    It was nice that someone started this thread, as reading it and/or contributing will act as a kind of cognitive behavioural therapy and make many people happier. They will in turn spread the good vibes to others.

9. Handed coursework over to the exams officer today. Nobody can do anything else about it, so there's no point in worrying!
    Leaving school before 6 o clock after two 8:30 finishes in a row.
    Deleting a 'friend' (old acquaintance) from facebook who posted a horrible comment and political affiliation as her status. Yes, I know, they're her opinions, but I don't want to hear them, and I only accepted her friend request in the first place as I feel guilty for rejecting them.

10. bedingfield

bedingfield New commenter

A PE lesson where no one started fighting.
    My son finishing cleaning his bedroom (he started on Sunday)!
    The nice glass of cider that I am drinking at the moment.

11. tangerinecat

tangerinecat New commenter

1) Currently very very drunk
    2) Friends for dinner, turned out very well (and honest about the fact I bought the sauce from M&s [​IMG])
    3) They had DVD of wedding pics I haven't seen yet - brought it all back. Oh, it was the best wedding ever, there is nothing I would change [​IMG]
    4) Curently very very drunk

12. Milkandchalk

Ha ha ha hope you're OK this morning TC!

13. 1. Having my last lesson cancelled for a surprise party for one of the children - an eight year old with Down's who's made real progress recently with learning his numbers and colours. The look on his little face was just the best thing ever (and he pulled some astonishing moves to Lady Gaga on the stereo!)

2. The way that several of the girls in my class sacrificed their playtimes to set up the classroom for the party "so that he has a really nice time on his birthday."

3. One child returning from holiday, giving me and the usual class teacher slices of birthday cake (his birthday was while he was away). I got the bigger piece as well - it's as if he knows how much of a pain he can be! [​IMG]

4. Child mentioned in 3 bringing back pieces of volcanic rock from his holiday as presents for me, the class teacher and some of his friends (bless him). This was followed by one of said friends giving his piece to the birthday boy, "because it's his birthday, he should have a present from us." I was so touched!

14. tangerinecat

tangerinecat New commenter

Am surprisingly chipper today M&C - thanks!
    1) Helping out with Son1's topic morning - the mums always get so into it and have so much fun. We go from slightly panicked faces to a massive sense of pride and achievement in the space of a couple of hours.
    2) Resolution from pooey school situation - the official letter is here! [​IMG]
    3) The Hairy Bikers are on at the moment - I want to keep them in my kitchen as slaves. Or pets -they are very sweet.

15. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

[​IMG] Lovely to read this. Everyone should feel like that about their wedding.
    In fact I am enjoying reading this thread. My three for today:
    1) Managed to persuade a complaining Mum that "I don't get it" can sometimes mean "I can't be arsed to make any effort" and agree a system to prevent this happening in future!
    2) Made decisions regarding playing the stock market with my tiny wee investment. I felt like a big shot!
    3) Lots of "I get it"s in lessons today.

16. Milkandchalk

• The relief of of getting to the loo after waiting in a looooong traffic jam. (Weird I know but I was bursting!)
    • The netball girls playing really well today
    • DEAR time being completely silent and managing a full chapter of my book!

17. being clapped at the end of a story 'tell' of the very hungry catterpillar. (by my reception class)
    getting some advice for 2 SEN children
    talking to a parent of a new child who has moved schools where his behaviour was described as appauling after he told her he had been naughty today - and the smile on mums face when i assured her that he had been fab and is settling in really well. (he thought he had been naughty because he didnt have trainers for PE)

Lucie x

18. <ol>[*]My (Key Stage 4) form all singing the chorus of Gold by Spandau Ballet to me in registration this afternoon. ("We've been practising it for you, miss!")[*]A usually miserable colleague giving me a spontaneous and sincere compliment.[*]My OH telling me our wedding day will be the best day of his life! </ol>

19. 1. The big que of year 11s who wanted me to sign their leaving books and all the lovely things they said to me and the round of applause they gave me at the end of my sentimental goodbye speech to them.

2. The exam classes saying they felt confident about some tricky questions we've been working on for weeks.

3. Realising that I get my after school times, lunch breaks, PPA sessions etc back next week as there will be no intervention to do and my trainee teachers are back so will be planning and delivering lessons for some of my classes. This is a massvie deal after the weeks of teaching/working solidly through from 8:30 - 4:30 5 days a week and then going home to mark piles of work all evening and weekends.

20. 1 Getting the whole morning off (thought I was invigilating a photography exam this morning, turns out that my very nice HOF was doing it instead as she 'wanted to' leaving me covered with nothing to teach). 2 Chocolate pudding with chocolate sauce at lunchtime 3 Watching the final piece of GCSE Drama practical performance work - delayed cos one of the students was stuck cos of a volcano.It's the little things in life that make it bearable.