1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

3 things that have made you smile today.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Milkandchalk, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Being woken up with a cup of tea from my husband and my 9 year old climbing in bed next to me waffling on about War Hammer (little did he know I still had my ear plugs in).
    My son attempting to write a page full of jokes. One of them was ...... Which shop does Matt Bellamy like to go in? A Muse Agents. (he's the main guy in the band Muse). Hmmmm. Well he is only 9.
    Watching Total Wipeout with my nutty 6 year old giggling on my knee
    And fourthly - copying and pasting this from another thread - as I got confused and put it on the John Lewis ad one. Oh if only there was a blimmin' delete button on here!!

2. Seeing MrA come home with hair and beard freshly cut.
    Same handsome man producing CHOCOLATE from shopping bag.
    Stroking cat with silky coat thickening and lengthening in response to shorter days, colder nights. (Even though I know I now have to get out the grooming brushes.)

3. Me, doing exercises on my bedroom floor with my new 'gym' kit.. All stretchy bands that have to be pulled. Glad no one was watching.
    My son, asking me ever so politely to iron one of his best shirts for him first thing this morning. (He had to be suited and booted to watch the footy today - has hospitaIity box with friends.) I particularly liked his "I'll make you a cup of tea" bribe.
    The thought of the day stretching ahead with no arrangements, no pressure, no meetings or duties...just me, tea and the sofa...and papers.

4. Milkandchalk

Milkandchalk New commenter

Songs from last night's show still rattling about in my head
    A lovely walk in the park with my family
    Watching my brother struggle with trapped wind (OK it's not a funny thing if you have it but he is sooo jealous when someone burps or farts. And his face when he tried Andrew's liver salts.. tee hee)

5. One big smile today after beating cheating basta*rd son at Trivial Pursuit (grudge return match).
    Question: What does the capital of Arizona rise from?
    My answer: The ashes.
    Answer on the card and the only one he would accept even if it doesn't answer the question asked: Phoenix.
    Well I BEAT YOU ANYWAY.
    [​IMG]
    Lily, competitive ball-breaking mother supreme. And Triv champion.

6. Good work, Lily.
    May the war between the generations continue relentlessly - for as long as we're winning.

7. 1. Young cheeky chap explaining to his equally cheeky class colleague how to do a particular practise SATS question. He was so kind, gentle, patient and cute, it made me well up!
    2. Member of my SEN booster group writing the most amazing description of a desert island [​IMG]. Reading same amazing description of a desert island to some of the higher ability girls, and seeing the look of amazement on their faces!
    3. 6/8 of my most SEN maths booster set, who came to me with a L2 at best, achieving at least Level 3Cs in recent practise sats. They were delighted!! And then, some of my most able SEN booster set getting level 4s. Talk about progress and achievement. God bless 'em!!
    4. (I know, 3 is the limit, but there is a lot to smile about.) The fact that the lounge in my new flat overlooks lake, grass, trees, flowers and no ugly roads get in the way. Thank you Lord [​IMG]

8. Milkandchalk

Buying a lovely new top from M&S outlet store.
    Yummy chinese for tea
    Getting back to my wee flat and getting things tidy

9. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

1) Seeing a new new newborn lamb, struggling to it's feet. n amazing time to take advantageof our lush local countryside.
    2) the barbecue that followed when we returned from our walk. It was cold, too windy, and lovely.
    3) The first series of Phoenix Nights.
    'Stop crapping get cracking'.
    :)

10. snowstorm

snowstorm New commenter

Only one thing today, Shifty's pic on Belle's 'Kinsa' thread!
    [​IMG]

11. My number one also. (Just love the thought of Belle's intended walking in on that lunch.)
    Number 2. MrA put up a very funny poster on our office wall - got that from here too.
    Number 3. Yummy cevapcici for tonight's dinner (sort of skinless sausage) followed by house to myself for a coupla hours.

12. As a "red head" I'd be very interested to know if this was a scientific study...? And where's my share of the cheesecake????

13. Milkandchalk

No not a scientific study just a solution to a bad day. It's so easy to focus on the negatives and forget that there ever were any positives so this is why I started the thread. What makes you smile can be the smallest thing.
    Headteacher talking about 'big buts' at the Inset today. OK infantile but I had to giggle!
    Going for a lunchtime walk and getting some fresh air
    My classroom looking nice and tidy

14. I was off ill last week with Kidney stones (yeh-oooouch!)
    But went back today and at least
    3 colleagues outside my own dept and
    3 members of my own MFL dept and
    3 pupils including members of my year 11 form
    asked how I was and said they had missed me-aaaaww!
    You don't get that in industry!

15. The Third Place thread - x3!

16. darkness

darkness New commenter

Gordon brown as an advert for ASDA. Do you think if he is booted out he will do that patting the bum with the change sound played over the top? The last one I recall was Sharon Osbourne.

ASDA, always cutting prices.

• Twice today, at a new school I am covering at, students opened a door for me and replied, "you're welcome,"to my thanks.
    • When I asked a group of students to get out from sitting under the desks
    • During an explanation/demo of a musical fanfare, a year 7 student said, "I've heard of a funfair sir."

17. Oh I could have hundreds of these everyday...
    • Coming back from a course at lunchtime to a chorus of "Miss babycamper!!!" from my class (4-6yr olds) who were outside after their lunch.
    • Getting a text from a boy I met at the weekend ;-)
    • My headteacher being really supportive when I told him I was applying for a new job (I'd not slept for days worrying about telling him!)
    Loving the positive slant on things :)

18. i love the "ding" sound that young people brains and eyes make when they get what I am teaching them!

I love the fact that my kids (aged 11) still like to hug me

I love the fact that Peter Kay last night was the best laugh i had had in ages = worth every penny :)

Keep 'em coming.....

19. tangerinecat

tangerinecat New commenter

Yesterday:
    1) A mini bottle of Champagne whilst watching Glee (OH out - yay!)
    2) Boys' excitement at spotting 7 spy cats on the way to school - a record!
    3) Got to the end of my book and I had successfully predicted whodunnit [​IMG]