1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

3 things that have made you smile today.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Milkandchalk, Apr 27, 2010.

1. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Not opening my Amazon delivery and watching Maleficent getting wetter around the groin.
    Bigga peas with dinner.
    Posting a full flavoured quark reply.

2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Not so much today as Sunday.

I've set up my table at the Vintage fair, and among my stock are some WW2 era boys' war comics, but German. I'd picked them up the previous weekend at a German flea market on the way back from holiday. I'm thinking "I wonder who on Earth is going to buy those", I turn round, and striding down the hall is a guy dressed in full WW2 German paratrooper gear, who's brought his old military truck to the event. After a brief chat he bought a tenner's worth to stick on his dashboard as props. Made me smile anyway.

3. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Why's that? Is it not as reliable as the pill?

4. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

For your delight and delectation.

5. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Listening to my boss deal with a rude aggressive parent. She put the harridan on speaker so we could all enjoy it. We had to chortle silently.

6. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

7. EmanuelShadrack

Thank you for this.

I actually knew what it was already - my original "pill" comment was pure silliness.

Talking of silliness, I could post some things that made me smile (and laugh heartily) today (taken from the pages of Viz magazine), but they'd be too controversial.

8. EmanuelShadrack

Actually, as an interesting afterthought, no-one (to my knowledge anyway) has investigated the pill's efficacy as a tool for long multiplication. It's time this research was done.

9. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I thought the pill would support methods of multiplication by repeated multiplication with small factors

10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

It's a normal school day - nothing makes me smile.

red_observer likes this.
  11. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I was concerned for your mental health had you thought that education had progressed to the grid method without informing you through the medium of suitable inset. I understood the pill reference and was thinking about trying to connect grids and IUDs.

12. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

Family member birthday, comments about him on social media and it’s near the end of the week....

13. EmanuelShadrack

Good point. I'll have to think about that.
    Of course - why didn't I see that before? I don't quite see where the small factors come into it, but yes, the pill should prevent any methods of multiplication really, and as such would not be a suitable replacement for the grid method.

Whilst on the subject of difficult problems involving long multiplication, I could add here that when I was younger, any hard ones were usually done by hand, but I won't, in case people get the entirely erroneous idea that I'm bringing down the tone of the thread.

14. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Those were the hard ones that were too much for the battery-powered equipment of the day and getting them to work out could only be done by hand which was how the great mathematicians of earlier times always did it.
    Threads of lower tone have already been locked recently, so take care.

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  15. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Quite right, too!

AD

16. CraigCarterSmith

CraigCarterSmith Established commenter

1. excellent parking space today - small victories
    2. A student who was struggling last year due to personal horrific circumstance and is doing much better
    3. Him ....smush i know

17. Jamvic

Jamvic Lead commenter

1. Remembering the flowers of my childhood to contribute to that TES thread. Brought back loads of lovely memories of carefree ‘playing out’ days.

2. Breakfast in bed. My OH bringing me poached eggs on toast on a tray with a pot of tea. Didn’t know he was even aware we owned a teapot for one. Very impressed and delighted by the kind thought though.

3. Getting an unexpected, useful and pretty, free gift with an online purchase I had intended to make anyway.

RuthTom likes this.
  18. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Tell your OH to stop raising the bar.

19. Jamvic

Jamvic Lead commenter

:D Will do.

20. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

The convent behind our home has an orchard where the ducks like to go in the autumn for apples. Well, not just the ducks but the moorhens, the crows and others. They had their trees severely pruned last year and so no apples this year. I have one apple tree and they've been watching it. We picked the apples the other day and there is a queue of ducks waiting by the front door in the morning for their breakfast of apples. :)

marymoocow likes this.