1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

3 people with pneumonia

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by NellyFUF, Apr 26, 2012.

1. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

IN my workplace there have been three people hospitalized with pneumonia within 9 months, two at the present time.
    Is this unusual?

2. Hi
    My daughter is at uni and is now into her 10th week with it . It started with a chest infection. Two of hrt friends at uni have it too. So looks like it is around this year. Just hope my son with asthma doesn't get it but since i moved her home about 7 weeks I guess he is over that chance now.

3. Infections change, come and disappear whence they came, but I think three cases of a serious illness like pneumonia is unusual and worrying, yes.

4. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

There is a pneumonia outbreak in this area which is not widely known. Acccording to one of my kid's lecturers, linked to the use of spray disinfectants etc which kill 99% of germs and let the other baggers take over the universe.
    No press knowledge of the outbreak apparently.

5. I have not been "right" since having a virus about 3 weeks ago. I had a horrendously sore throat, on one side only, and this went on for several days. I was having to take lots of painkillers because of the pain, it was so bad. I also had a cough and ended up sleeping on the sofa for a while so as not to keep everyone awake. Well, the sore throat has gone, but I have continued to cough and I suddenly developed REALLY severe chest/rib pains, which made every cough or sneeze torture. I also had horrible deep muscle pains around the armpit area. I was in agony. I saw my GP because I feared I could have pneumonia or pleurisy. My GP said my chest sounded perfectly good. The pain was almost certainly muscular and I should take ibuprofen. I am still in a lot of pain, although not quite so bad now, and still coughing sometimes. not coughing up anything yucky, just clear mucus. I do have some health problems ( parathyroid issues) so I have to asSume this has something to do with the rib pain. God knows what state I'd be in if I had succumbed to pneumonia.