1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

3 part lesson? - PMLD

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Kitkat47, Jan 18, 2012.

1. I am after a little bit of help regarding layout of lessons (literacy and numeracy in particular). The school I am in likes to use a 3 part lesson format (i.e. starter, main and plenary) but the children I am working with are mostly working at levels P1-P4 (Year 3/4). As changing, positioning etc takes up such a lot of time between breaks a lesson can often only last around 30 minutes. I am just wondering what other peoples lessons 'look like' in PMLD. Do you share objectives with children / staff working with them? (i.e. 'Jimmy we would like to you make a choice between two toys', but directed at the TA so she knows what to achieve). How do you end your lessons? I often use a parachute and some calming music but SMT want us to 'revisit learning objectives'. How do you do this in a way that is appropriate for PMLD children? Thanks in advance!

2. I am after a little bit of help regarding layout of lessons (literacy and numeracy in particular). The school I am in likes to use a 3 part lesson format (i.e. starter, main and plenary) but the children I am working with are mostly working at levels P1-P4 (Year 3/4). As changing, positioning etc takes up such a lot of time between breaks a lesson can often only last around 30 minutes. I am just wondering what other peoples lessons 'look like' in PMLD. Do you share objectives with children / staff working with them? (i.e. 'Jimmy we would like to you make a choice between two toys', but directed at the TA so she knows what to achieve). How do you end your lessons? I often use a parachute and some calming music but SMT want us to 'revisit learning objectives'. How do you do this in a way that is appropriate for PMLD children? Thanks in advance!

3. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

<font size="2">What about a starter playing a music signifier with /colour and light patterns, smells and /or PowerPoint of appropriate pictures at the start of a lesson whilst you are positioning pupils so that they can learn to anticipate what will happen next, e.g. for RE you could play some chants / a call to prayer / hymn and have a picture of a flickering candle and a smell of incense. For communication play "Happy talk" and show a PowerPoint of photos of the class. Many won't understand the photos, but will begin to recognise the event and anticipate.</font> <font size="2">After positioning dramatically get out the equipment for the lesson from a box / bag / case / drawer or whatever (maybe use a different receptacle or colour for each lesson) I often give a bag to the teaching assistant working with the pupils who then opens it with them and shows / tells the child what their learning goal is.</font>

4. RamC

RamC New commenter

Excellent suggestions already.

I teach a class of students with PMLD but the school has a very strong "secondary" culture which is very difficult for me! I plan for half of each lesson to be teaching time, so the repositioning etc is included within the planning of the day. I also use subject cue songs, and we meet in a circle at the beginning of every session to do a "ready to work" (proprioceptive) brushing and hand massage for 5-10mins and then repeat the same starter activity immediately for each lesson, for example for maths we feel the parachute and do several games to begin every session, to cue them in. Then we go into individual or small group activities which are usually sensory exploration mixed with key skills based. At the end of the work time I play a "tidy up" piece of music and as soon as the music starts we say "1, 2, 3 finished" and the activity is immediately removed and all students moved back into a circle, where we go round and sing "bravo bravo" to each students and describe what they were doing, and then play "well done everyone song" to finish. It's surprising how quickly this routine was recognised by the pupils, (all working in p1-3) and even the least reactive of my students has started stilling and listening to her turn when we say bravo to her.

As to telling them what the lesson objective is- no I don't as it's irrelevant to hear that many spoken instructions for my class, who are all mostly working on a 1-3 key work levels supported by body signing or objects of reference. I do describe to the TA's but do it by modelling with the pupil.

5. Hi, Thank you for the lovely ideas. Do you always use the same songs? What songs do you use?

6. dzil

Hi, What chronological age are you students? I work with secondary pupils at a similar level and we also have a secondary mainstream approach (lesson, teacher and room changeevery 50 minutes or so)

7. Blue_dime

Blue_dime New commenter

Pupils are Year 5, 6 and 7.

8. dzil

My songs would be too old I suspect. I try to use songs that are or have been popular with a theme related to the lesson or lesson theme, even if it's only in my head! For example I use a ragtime jazz number for my craft sessions and a rap song for poetry.

9. We use Ella Fitzgerald 'Happy Talk' for communication sessions, Sesame st the song of the count, for numeracy; just about to start with 'Push the button' for ICT, and Food glorious food for lunchtime. We also use the lizard song from the drum crazy website to introduce therapy sessions, and barefoot books uk version of we all go traveling by when it is hometime. The musical cues have been great - do persevere.

10. I teach a ks1/2 PMLD class of 9 pupils all working P1-3. We have had a huge change in the way we teach our PMLD pupils and the curriculum we use throughout our school. Pupils in the sensory strands of school from the early years right through to the 14-19 year old class are all working on a curriculum as previously mentioned based on the work of Dr Penny Lacey and have looked at the work done at the Vale of Evesham school amongst others. Since Easter we no longer teach discrete lessons in English, Maths etc rather we teach cognition, communication, physical development and care and independence. This has been so successful already and have seen huge improvements in all of our pupils. Sessions and activities last about 30 minutes with time allowed to change positions and chest physiotherapy etc before and after. Sessions include rebound therapy, hydro, resonance boards, sound beam, sounds of intent, massage, switch work, tactile awareness, treasure baskets, tac pac, story sacs, forest school, sensology workout, art, cooking amongst others. Each half term we have a general topic which we hang the sessions loosely around. We have been able to link all of the National Curriculum subjects to our new timetable and is just awesome!

At the start of each session we ensure all pupils are positioned comfortably and tell staff what the pupils specific objective is for that lesson though it is a more specific version of one of their 4 targets. Staff have the pupils folder with the targets and tracking sheet with them. We then do a chant of we're getting ready to work whilst staff massage pupils hands.We start the activity straight away with burst and pause to allow pupils anticipation and times to respond. At the end of the session we use the TaSSeLs sign for finished and I blow bubbles for the pupils whilst staff sing well done song for each pupil. They are now starting to anticipate the bubbles and some are smiling when they come out of the cupboard.

11. All of these ideas sound fab! I have the rather daunting prospect of teaching in a PMLD class for the first time starting next week. My previous classes have been complex SLD so although not dramatic it is still quite a big change.

joannecfbaker - would you be willing to share your timetable so that I could see how you structure your day and how the sessions fit in with positioning and physio etc? I'm working quite closely with the subject leader for PMLD students and I'm hoping that we could maybe facilitate a change towards the Dr. Penny Lacey curriculum also.

The songs that you all mention - where can I find these? Particularly 'bravo bravo' and 'well done everyone'.

Thank you!

12. Jo3Grace

Jo3Grace New commenter

Hello, I know you've had lots of fantastic suggestions already, I expect you're off and running, but.... to add to a growing list.

I like to use sensory stories. I begin the session with the story which is something we can all share together as a class community. I then focus on a different aspect of the story each lesson (usually doing a sequence of 6 lessons over a term) we split into groups to do linked exploratory work, and then return together to re-share the story at the end.

It can be done and it is really enjoyable.

Worldstories provide a great free to download sensory story that is good for beginners as it comes with lots of supporting material and it's really simple to do - it's about how the spider got it's legs. You can access it here http://jo.element42.org along with lots of other resources. Feel free to use the contact tab their to get in touch with me directly if I can help you further.

Kind regards

Joanna Grace

PS you'll also find a link to the booktrust free school library pack there, schools can apply for a pack (for free!) you get a set of books and activities to encourage engagement with reading - it's a fabulous resource, free, not catches, so if you've not already applied apply now.

13. Hi joannecfbaker, you mentioned that one of your sessions was forset school. I'm interested in starting forest school in my school with the pmld students and was wondering if you would let me know how you work it in your school.

Thanks

14. Your time table sounds excellent Joannecfbaker, have you made any changes to it? Would you be able to share what it actually looks like or provide any more information on some of the activities. It sounds excellent!

15. Hi all I am an NQT about to start with my new class next week. Please if anyone has any resources, plans or tips I would be so grateful! Thank you