1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

3 page CV too long?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Woollyhoolly, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Wow! Just seem to be churning out endless words... is 3 pages too long (inc additional skills, interests and references)?

Please help as I want to send this application off asap!

Thanks

2. Wow! Just seem to be churning out endless words... is 3 pages too long (inc additional skills, interests and references)?

Please help as I want to send this application off asap!

Thanks

3. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

4. Aaargh! Two pages then?

5. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

6. It's not so much the three pages that bothers me (although I think two is better), it's the churning out of words. Be concise, don't waffle.

7. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

I agree

8. CV versus personal statement... one very concise and other is full of wordy sentences... hard to swap mode, if you know what I mean. 2,5 pages now- I'll get there before the midnight hour- yawn.

9. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

Take the font size down to 6, that will work

10. Ha ha... but can they read it?

11. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

Send a magnifying glass with every C.V.

During my last recuitment round, I had several CVs sent that were 4 pages, they did not get a read.

12. Ha! No need... reduced to 2 pages and no magnifying glass necessary... The world, here I come!

Thanks for being blunt and to the point... :)

13. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

If you have included additional skills, interests and references then the CV proper is only about 2 pages: certainly not too long. Personally, I would put the additional skills and interests in my letter of application, and the references directly in the email.

Actually, whether a CV is too long or too short very much depends on the person who is reading it. The "never mind the quality feel the width" brigade, of which there are far too many, will simply want to know the numbers: how long, at what level. However, good Principals (hen's teeth come to mind) will want to know a bit more.

One generally useful rule is that, unless you wish to emphasize some aspect, you give successively less information for older jobs.

14. I've only taught at one school so far, so mine is only one page long. I keep all the details for the letter of application, which tends to be two pages (at size 12). I worried about this and tried to stretch it to two (1.5 is no good), but realised I was including far too much of the minutiae, like what GCSE results I got and responsibilities I had at school and university.
    Is a one-page CV also one that might quickly go in the "bin" pile?