1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

3 (Oh) Dears For Wilshaw!

Discussion in 'Ofsted inspections' started by lermentov, Jan 25, 2012.

1. So the new Head of Ofsted has been revealed and what an inspiring figure he appears to be. He certainly has inspired me – the thought of my boot-wearing foot, connecting with his incredulous face…Honestly, he seems to have set something of a record in generating enmity within me via the shortest amount of ‘gob-open’ time I have ever known.His PR love-in with the broadsheets has seen him deliver sound-bites that outline a view of education that is as retrograde and antiquated as it is offensive:·Good place to start, with a wholly subjective value judgement. One man’s scruffy old git, is another man’s urbane, soigne, bespectacled, mature headteacher. Pray tell, how is this to be enforced? Are teachers to be given a dress code? Men and women? Based on whose idea of what is scruffy, exactly? Ill-thought through and utterly irrelevant. Fighting schools
    Almost every element of our lives has been given over to the free market model. So, it’s no great surprise that we have mouthpieces for the establishment like Gove and Wilshire espousing such utterances. The scraps are thrown into the air and like baying dogs we can fight it out amongst ourselves. Anyone who isn’t up to the fight is devoured. Might is right. The fittest survive. That’s the law of nature. Right? Aside, from the dubious morality, this delusion that in (free) markets we trust has had a reality ‘cheque’ recently written by the UK to the tune of 1 trillion pounds of which 850 billion is directly attributed to the bank bailout. The words ‘wheels’ and ‘come off’ hardly does this catastrophe justice. Satisfactory grade to be requires improvement The dictionary definitions of good and satisfactory alone suggest that he’s swimming in the miasma of his own ignorance:
    Satisfactory &ndash; fulfilling expectations or needs<font size="3"></font>Good &ndash; superior to the average<font size="3"></font>Don&rsquo;t want to get too semantically preoccupied, but if what constitutes the average become the good, then doesn&rsquo;t the good become the new average?Moreover a previous pronouncement of his conflating satisfactory with coasting is intentionally misleading and biased towards teeth-kicking at the poorer end of the socio-economic spectrum (especially now the CVA has been removed). Too many schools labelled good and outstandingHe is disappearing up his own backside with this statement especially when juxtaposed with the previous one. What does he want? If he wants less good and outstanding, then more satisfactory? Staff morale at an all-time low is good
    This is utterly offensive and intimidating and I can&rsquo;t believe it has been allowed to go unchallenged in the mainstream media. It suggests a Dickensian view of management whereby the rampaging staff at the chalk-face needs to be beaten into shape and given no quarter. It suggests he studied at the Captain Bligh School of Management and I&rsquo;m not sure of any other profession that would allow such an autocrat to shape their instrument of assessment. Michael Gove is right about most thingsAnd Gove calls him a &lsquo;hero&rsquo;. Christ, talk about two cheeks of the same backside! Not only that, they both appear to sing from the same &lsquo;dim&rsquo; sheet, espousing, as they do, the, ahem, relevance of Latin and tradition. What a pair of feckless anachronisms! They&rsquo;re like ossified left-overs from our colonial past. <font face="Times New Roman">So to finish what have we learned about Wilshaw. Well, he&rsquo;s a right-wing, right-minded, right-good, right-fair, right-believing, right-living, righteous drill sergeant who, no doubt, wants to maximise his stay in the limelight whilst crawling, tongue drooling, up the slimy pole of politics. No doubt, he&rsquo;ll surround himself with the parlance of a crusader. So get ready for copious amounts of hyperbolic rhetoric involving: &lsquo;missions&rsquo;, &lsquo;desires&rsquo;, and &lsquo;strivings&rsquo; alongside his&rsquo; inability to countenance&rsquo;, his &lsquo;unwillingness to fail&rsquo;, his &lsquo;drive to succeed&rsquo;, suffixed to his (messianic) &lsquo;mission to help children&rsquo;. And we will as a profession, like the dutiful demoralised, depressed, dispirited donkey in Bresson&rsquo;s film, plod on and on and on&hellip;</font>

2. So the new Head of Ofsted has been revealed and what an inspiring figure he appears to be. He certainly has inspired me &ndash; the thought of my boot-wearing foot, connecting with his incredulous face&hellip;Honestly, he seems to have set something of a record in generating enmity within me via the shortest amount of &lsquo;gob-open&rsquo; time I have ever known.His PR love-in with the broadsheets has seen him deliver sound-bites that outline a view of education that is as retrograde and antiquated as it is offensive:&middot;Good place to start, with a wholly subjective value judgement. One man&rsquo;s scruffy old git, is another man&rsquo;s urbane, soigne, bespectacled, mature headteacher. Pray tell, how is this to be enforced? Are teachers to be given a dress code? Men and women? Based on whose idea of what is scruffy, exactly? Ill-thought through and utterly irrelevant. Fighting schools
    Almost every element of our lives has been given over to the free market model. So, it&rsquo;s no great surprise that we have mouthpieces for the establishment like Gove and Wilshire espousing such utterances. The scraps are thrown into the air and like baying dogs we can fight it out amongst ourselves. Anyone who isn&rsquo;t up to the fight is devoured. Might is right. The fittest survive. That&rsquo;s the law of nature. Right? Aside, from the dubious morality, this delusion that in (free) markets we trust has had a reality &lsquo;cheque&rsquo; recently written by the UK to the tune of 1 trillion pounds of which 850 billion is directly attributed to the bank bailout. The words &lsquo;wheels&rsquo; and &lsquo;come off&rsquo; hardly does this catastrophe justice. Satisfactory grade to be requires improvement The dictionary definitions of good and satisfactory alone suggest that he&rsquo;s swimming in the miasma of his own ignorance:
    Satisfactory &ndash; fulfilling expectations or needs<font size="3"></font>Good &ndash; superior to the average<font size="3"></font>Don&rsquo;t want to get too semantically preoccupied, but if what constitutes the average become the good, then doesn&rsquo;t the good become the new average?Moreover a previous pronouncement of his conflating satisfactory with coasting is intentionally misleading and biased towards teeth-kicking at the poorer end of the socio-economic spectrum (especially now the CVA has been removed). Too many schools labelled good and outstandingHe is disappearing up his own backside with this statement especially when juxtaposed with the previous one. What does he want? If he wants less good and outstanding, then more satisfactory? Staff morale at an all-time low is good
    This is utterly offensive and intimidating and I can&rsquo;t believe it has been allowed to go unchallenged in the mainstream media. It suggests a Dickensian view of management whereby the rampaging staff at the chalk-face needs to be beaten into shape and given no quarter. It suggests he studied at the Captain Bligh School of Management and I&rsquo;m not sure of any other profession that would allow such an autocrat to shape their instrument of assessment. Michael Gove is right about most thingsAnd Gove calls him a &lsquo;hero&rsquo;. Christ, talk about two cheeks of the same backside! Not only that, they both appear to sing from the same &lsquo;dim&rsquo; sheet, espousing, as they do, the, ahem, relevance of Latin and tradition. What a pair of feckless anachronisms! They&rsquo;re like ossified left-overs from our colonial past. <font face="Times New Roman">So to finish what have we learned about Wilshaw. Well, he&rsquo;s a right-wing, right-minded, right-good, right-fair, right-believing, right-living, righteous drill sergeant who, no doubt, wants to maximise his stay in the limelight whilst crawling, tongue drooling, up the slimy pole of politics. No doubt, he&rsquo;ll surround himself with the parlance of a crusader. So get ready for copious amounts of hyperbolic rhetoric involving: &lsquo;missions&rsquo;, &lsquo;desires&rsquo;, and &lsquo;strivings&rsquo; alongside his&rsquo; inability to countenance&rsquo;, his &lsquo;unwillingness to fail&rsquo;, his &lsquo;drive to succeed&rsquo;, suffixed to his (messianic) &lsquo;mission to help children&rsquo;. And we will as a profession, like the dutiful demoralised, depressed, dispirited donkey in Bresson&rsquo;s film, plod on and on and on&hellip;</font>

3. I absolutely, totally, utterly agree! I'm trying to think how to add to what you've written, but I can't.

4. As expected Wilshaw is pushing the &lsquo;teachers are failing children' boat out with his recent pronouncement regarding his bowel-wrenching chagrin at the poor job we're all doing getting 80%+ of children to achieve an average literacy grade. Lord William Big B****cks is continuing to set his stall out and his agenda is to further demoralise the teaching profession with an autocratic manner that treats dedicated professionals as children. The desperately sad thing is that he is allowed to appear on the mass media flatulating his archaic pronouncements without the slightest challenge to any of his views. Figures are plucked out of thin air without even a suggestion that they are backed up by anything other than arbitrary and subjective notions. And yet we'll continue (me included) to shrug our shoulders and then return to trying to push those high ability children to get a 5A not a 5B in their upcoming SATS!