1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

3 months pregnant and on a support plan

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by TroubledTeacher1, Aug 22, 2019.

1. TroubledTeacher1

TroubledTeacher1 New commenter

Hi,

I'm 3 months pregnant and was put on a support plan at my secondary school. I was halfway through it before breaking up for summer so I've still got half left.

I'm just wondering when it would be best to tell the school and would you just go to your line manager.

I'm hoping to get through the last half of this plan without too much stress as my health isn't amazing this pregnancy!

pepper5 likes this.
  2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

The two things are completely separate.
    The support plan can't just end because you are pregnant.

It's best to tell the school you are pregnant as soon as possible so they can do a risk assessment and so on. Part of that risk assessment should include the stress of the support plan, but that's as far as one affects the other.

agathamorse, pepper5, nomad and 3 others like this.
  3. tenpast7

tenpast7 Occasional commenter

They have a Duty of Care to you so use it to the Maximum and get them to back off.

4. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

I believe that you are supposed to tell your employer you're pregnant 15 weeks before the due date. Tell them ASAP.

Regarding your current situation, have you spoken to your doctor about it?
    Otherwise I would just try to play the game, evidence everything that you do and just get the support plan ticked off. Then don't return to that school after maternity.

agathamorse, pepper5 and nomad like this.
  5. HolyMahogany

HolyMahogany Occasional commenter

Yes inform the school ASAP, while this does not necessarily effect the support plan, you should inform them of any issues that may effect your ability to complete the support plan. For now carry on and complete the plan, successfully I hope.
    However if your health was to become an issue that prevented you from completing the plan then you need to inform them. after all no one would expect you to come in and complete the plan if you had a heart attack. Not until you had fully recovered anyway.
    Inform your GP and Union of your current situation.

6. caterpillartobutterfly

I vaguely think that people have to return for 12 weeks to get their enhanced maternity pay.

7. SheikhAbdulFashion

SheikhAbdulFashion New commenter

Support plans are the thin end the formal capability ‘wedge’.
    ‘Support plan’ is a euphemism for the stage where negative evidence is collected to be used against you later.
    Contact (join) a strong union like NASUWT, now, and also consult an employment solicitor if you can.
    Tell your employer of your pregnancy IN WRITING quickly and, as suggested by a helpful poster, see a doctor, also now.
    ‘Support plan’ = professional danger + incredible stress.
    Get advised up and arrange a settlement agreement if the ‘support plan’ can’t be stopped in its tracks quickly.
    Good luck in your pregnancy..
    .. and secondly with the ‘capability.’

8. caterpillartobutterfly

The OP is part way through the support plan. If they aren't already in a union it is too late to join now and get support for this.

9. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

Firstly, congratulations on your wonderful news.

Remember, the MOST important thing is your health and well being and that of the precious cargo you are carrying. A teacher on a support plan is always under a lot of stress. Pregnancy has its own stresses on the body and mind. As mentioned above, your doctor, your union and even your school's OH need to be used to support you.

Every union as a Equality divisions i.e. Race, Disability, LGBT and Women groups. I would contact the head of your union's Women's group to discuss this issue as there is a long history of women who were known to be trying for pregnancies being made subject to support plans:oops:. It's all comes under gender discrimination. If you have had any issues before, e.g. a one related to health etc. all this has to be linked.

I hope you have a great union rep and you have an easier time, once the school is informed.

Enjoy the rest of your summer!:)

HolyMahogany likes this.
  10. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

In the interests of accuracy since the OP hasn't even disclosed her pregnancy there can hardly be a suggestion that she's been targeted for capability because of it and she hasn't indicated that she thinks she is on capability because she was known to be planning a family.

11. catbefriender

A lot of women planning on having a family mention it to people, go for appointments, make comments about other people's pregnancies. A teacher in a relationship, newly wed or still of child bearing age will be subjected to such assumptions. Whether she was targeted or not because of this, her now being pregnant means that things have to change.

pepper5 likes this.
  12. DexterDexter

DexterDexter Occasional commenter

Congratulations!

You should tell them- you can’t be looked after/supported as a pregnant teacher if no-one knows and you’ll need to go for more appointments and scans in work time too!

You should ask for a stress risk assessment (in addition to a maternity risk assessment) to be added to your “support” plan. HR can send you for a telephone appointment with an occupational therapist.

You can prepare for all this yourself beforehand by making a list of reasonable adjustments in the work place and get them to agree them at your next review (if you are having reviews!). It seems like extra work but should pay off.

If you have “improve displays” on your plan (it’s been known!), you could put about not stretching, climbing... and suggest someone else follows your instructions.
    If it is in relation to planning, you could write how long it takes and this puts stress on your eyes from a screen so suggest a way of streamlining your planning.
    If it’s marking, look through the marking policy and point out all the “you *may* deep mark every day” so say, that also means “don’t have to”.
    You get the idea... how can they actually help you? After all, it wouldn’t be a support plan if they weren’t supporting you!!!!

However, they probably won’t amend your plan and whatever OH say, your school don’t have to follow it!

In my experience, I have never known a formal support plan be supportive and would encourage you to look after yourself (you have your baby to think about too) and hopefully you can get out before it turns to capability.
    Good luck, keep us updated.

agathamorse likes this.
  13. TroubledTeacher1

This is a good point. I never hid the fact that I want more children. I currently have one.

14. TroubledTeacher1

Thanks! At the moment it is an informal support plan and I was making progress towards my targets, however, now I am worried with new classes etc. The person in charge of the plan is very strict.

I will take all your ideas into account when I speak to the school

DexterDexter likes this.
  15. TroubledTeacher1

Thank you all for your congratulations. My firstborn will look forward to having a sibling to play with!

16. catbefriender

I LOVE the way the firstborn suddenly thinks they're BIG and the shock at when their sibling's born the sibling can't do anything.

You have a lot of wonderful experiences ahead. Forget about the so called support plan and just focus on really important stuff, like what to watch on Netflix or what to have for dinner.

:):):):):)

17. starlightexpress

starlightexpress Occasional commenter

It sounds like you’re progressing well with the support plan. This indicates that you’ll doing the remaining weeks and will then be off it.

Separately to this do the standard advising the school of your pregnancy. They’ll then to the standard pregnancy risk assessment. As part of your contribution/ review of this plan, refer to anything you might need to.

If your pregnancy does impact on your ability to do your job, and thus then on the targets set in your support plan, let your line manager and the reviewer, if different, know immediately. Make sure this is documented in plan review and/ or separate recount of meeting email. They can make any adjustments they need to.

Just do your best with the plan and I hope all progresses well with that and your pregnancy. Wishing you well.

TroubledTeacher1 likes this.
  18. Progressnerd

Progressnerd Occasional commenter

The school are unlikely to see the support plan as 'stressful' though, that's the problem. To them it will be a great opportunity for you to learn from others and improve your skills. To them.

From experience schools that put lots of teachers on these plans don't even think day to day teaching is stressful.

My advice would be to mention the pregnancy if only to get them to think a bit harder about how they carry this ''support" out. In the same way that if you get a Union rep from outside the school the school will think a little bit harder about the type of "support" they give than if you went with no union rep at all.

If you're half way through I'd imagine you'd done something like 3-4 weeks already and have 3-4 weeks remaining.

There's no great time to be on one of these plans but September is probably the best as you'll have the pupils usually on their most alert hard working month or two. SLT will be rested as well after a summer - I find when SLT are stressed then bullying and pressure happen far quicker and nastier.

Get through the plan - get it ticked off then you'll have time off during maternity to reassess - if this school are known to do lots of these plans and other BS then don't hesitate to apply elsewhere.

DexterDexter likes this.
  19. TroubledTeacher1

Thank you :3 I think I will do just this!

20. TroubledTeacher1

Thanks

Thanks for your reply! My school put lots and lots of staff on this plan. Which seems very strange to me. I do plan to shift to another school at some point. This one is too high pressure for me

DexterDexter likes this.