1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

3 Levels progress Science

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by Canaryhoon, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Hi, Could anyone confirm for me that the 3 levels progress indicator in Science is measured against all outcomes? So, a KS2 level 5 pupil would make 3 lp if achieving B at GCSE. As I undertand it, if they were to acheive for example grades AAC in Biology Chemistry and Physics or BC in GCSE Science and Additional Science the pupil would not be considered to have made 3 LP.
    Thanks

2. Thanks for your reply. We are measured by attainment and have various targets including 3/4 LP progress by our pupils. It is easy to say 3LP has been made for a 1 outcome subject where a pupil coming in at level 5, leaving at B has made 3LP. If like in science we have 2 or 3 outcomes, when can we say 3LP has been made? When both outcomes are at B or just 1? I am made to believe it is both.

3. alm721

alm721 New commenter

Hi,
    Just wondered if you ever got an answer to this, as I'm trying to find out the same thing?

4. helsbels14

helsbels14 New commenter

My understanding is that it is for 2 GCSES in science. So any 2 of the separates, or core and additional or BTEC (for the moment)

It's difficult for science as our indicator is 2 GCSE's - so if a student has an A on core and a C on additional and their 3lp takes them to an A then they haven't achieved as only one of the GCSEs hits that.

Another stick for SLT to beat the scientists with!!!

5. why stop at three??
    I am aiming for four.
    When they arrive in Year 7 they can all have a go at GCSE in the summer and then start A levels in Year 8.
    Why not?It makes as much sense as this directive that all children must make three levels of progress!!!