1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

3 lesson ideas, need resources any ideas would be great

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by brookes, Jan 6, 2012.

1. "I have the task of..." Lets take each lesson in turn. What are your thoughts for lesson 1, coordinates in all for quadrants?

2. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

What ability are they? My KS2 average/able children can plot coordinates in all 4 quadrants, so unless they were bottom set/SEN groups I wouldn't spend a whole hour on this in KS4. Likewise vertical/horizontal lines I cover in Yr 7/8 so again, this aspect could form a starter, but not a whole lesson at this stage.

3. The class i have is imaginary. I have complete control over that. This is a lesson planning task. The person marking is looking for a lot of resources and a good quality lesson for each lesson.

Thanks for your help

4. I think using the bertie bug game as a plenary apart from that i really have no idea where to start this. Goes to show how good teachers form the basic skills and later on in your educational life you just take it as granted that (2,3) is where it is on a graph.

5. An activity that I've used for consolidation of the skills in your 1st lesson (albeit usually with years 7 or 8) is to have a co-ordinate axes grid with letters marked on it and a sentence written out 'in code' eg. (3,2) (5,-1) (2,2) that students need to read off the grid to break (ie. if the letter (3,2) is marked with a T then the first letter of the example above would be T).

The message is usually something like 'Now make up a code message of your own to swap with a friend'.

Gets the students actively involved in the skill and they practice a lot more than if I just gave them a list of questions such as "What letter is marked at (3,2)?'
    '

6. How about starting off with sets of coordinates to plot, eg. (1,2) , (4,5), (3, 3) and (0,1). The points should be on a straight line, with an odd one out, so pupils will know if they are plotting correctly. Ask pupils to produce their own sets with odd ones out and work in pairs to test each other.
    Use the idea of the odd one out to explore the relationship between the x and y coordinates - can you spot the odd one out before the points are plotted? Ask for other points on the line, work towards a rule. Practice drawing a line by plotting points from a rule.
    Give pupils a sets of equations of straight lines with different gradients and intercepts. Plot the graphs and identify families (eg. y=2x+1, y=2x+3, y=2x-2), discussing what they have in common and how they differ. Finally, give some pupils some lines and ask them to read off points and work out the equation.
    Resources to support this would include the initial sets of points, the set of equations, the lines for the final task and blank co-ord grids (to save time).

7. These are all BRILLIANT ideas and i love them all so keep them coming!

With regards to the decoding things i'm going to go with that for the plenary for lesson 2 using letters in all four quadrants.
    Giving pupils the lines and the odd one out is really good and i can incorporate y intercept and gradient into there and get some nice mathematical language flowing.

With regards to 3lessons though i think i might have to condense some of lessons 1&2 and do a half-way plenary type thing and then have lesson 2 as drawing lines and lesson 3 as recognising properties of linear equations.

Does anyone know any nice starters for lesson3?

Hope the new term is going well for you all.

Thanks

8. Hey,

A few ideas,

You could give students cards with coordinates on them and get them to sort them into piles which relate to lines. Don't tell them that's what they are doing but tell them for example that there are 4 groups of 5, they would hopefully see that one group has coordinates where each x is double the y, or each x is 5 times the y add 1, you may have to give some gentle prodding. As a plenary you could get them up to the IWB and get them to mark the points on a pair of axis instead of calling them out, guess what? I bet they make a line! we can talk about that next lesson.

Drawing lines from y=mx+c, you could have a pair of axis up and an equation (y+5x+2). IN SILENCE and very deliberately point to the one on the y and mark it, then count across one and up 5 and mark again join the points up. Stay silent and over exagerate your movements, make it clear you are counting in your head to try and get the kids trying to work out why you are counting up to 5, or why you started at 2. Repeat this a few times, don't let kids shout out, then get someone who looks like they are following to have ago for themselves with an equation you put up, repeat, repeat, repeat. Hopefully from you not talking you will have draw them in and they will see that the "c" is where you start on the y axis and the "m" is how many you go up for 1 across.

Make sure with your plotting coordinates lesson you have a good extention. I teach low ability KS4 groups and can appreciate the need for going over "the basics" but there will be kids that can do it with thier eyes closed so why not bring in properties of shapes as an extention? What is the coordinate of the last corner of this square?

Good luck
    Ben

9. I wouldn't have the decoding task as a plenary for a lesson in which you've been covering drawing lines. Perhaps a starter to confirm they've retained everything from the previous lesson? But your plenary should directly relate to the lesson you've just completed (and, possibly, point forward to the next one).