1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

3 kids and non teaching spouse -dont give up!

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by nesheehan, Mar 12, 2012.

1. <font size="2">Hi all,</font><font size="2">I posted here a while back about my chances of or the sanity of, getting a job in an international school and leaving blighty for a while. I am very happy to say that I applied for and have been appointed to a fantastic school on Borneo. All slightly crazy but I am very happy to report that I did mention my dependants in the cover email with application attached. I figured that any school that didn&rsquo;t want me and my kids, I didn&rsquo;t want to work in anyway. Final score was 4 jobs applied for, 2 rejections, 1 school decided not to open, 1 interview, 1 job. I was very picky as had to consider the whole package very carefully. The package I will receive seems excellent and we are currently drawing up endless lists before embarking on a very exciting period in our lives.</font><font size="2">I wanted to post to thank all contributors to the overseas forums for advice, humour and the occasional spat that has kept me entertained over the course of my search since October. This is a truly excellent resource and all the questions are worth asking as someone else will inevitably be thinking the same - and someone is bound to know or at least have an opinion!!</font><font size="2">So here is a new question - anyone recommend a shipping company to ship stuff to SE Asia?</font>

2. <font size="2">Hi all,</font><font size="2">I posted here a while back about my chances of or the sanity of, getting a job in an international school and leaving blighty for a while. I am very happy to say that I applied for and have been appointed to a fantastic school on Borneo. All slightly crazy but I am very happy to report that I did mention my dependants in the cover email with application attached. I figured that any school that didn&rsquo;t want me and my kids, I didn&rsquo;t want to work in anyway. Final score was 4 jobs applied for, 2 rejections, 1 school decided not to open, 1 interview, 1 job. I was very picky as had to consider the whole package very carefully. The package I will receive seems excellent and we are currently drawing up endless lists before embarking on a very exciting period in our lives.</font><font size="2">I wanted to post to thank all contributors to the overseas forums for advice, humour and the occasional spat that has kept me entertained over the course of my search since October. This is a truly excellent resource and all the questions are worth asking as someone else will inevitably be thinking the same - and someone is bound to know or at least have an opinion!!</font><font size="2">So here is a new question - anyone recommend a shipping company to ship stuff to SE Asia?</font>

3. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

KLM cargo is pretty good. Phone up your local airport's KLM office and ask them for details. Rates are reasonable. I'm assuming you are not shipping crazy stuff like heavy furniture, if so then I dunno.

4. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

Firstly many congratulations on your new job, secondly, regarding moving. If I were you I would ask the school to put you in touch with staff memebers who are or have been in your boat, ie moving out from the Uk or wherever and wanting help regarding what to bring etc.
    When Mrs Topliss and I moved out of the UK in the 90's we left with just one suitcase each yet the last move we did consisted of a 40 foot trailer being shipped from one place to the other!
    Anyway a company that we have used in our decade and a bit in Asia is Asian Tigers, you can have a look at their webpage here, in fact this page takes you to a sit e where you can download an informative booklet all about Brunei.
    http://www.asiantigers-china.com/Country%20Information.asp
    Anyway as I say all the best, if you have any other queries feel free to PM.
    Perce

5. A good news story. Well done, well done, well done.
    [​IMG]

6. ImmodestyBlaise

ImmodestyBlaise New commenter

Am in a similar situation (1 wife, 3 kids) but with one important difference: I haven't got a job (yet). Had interviews this year though. One for SCE, who as an equal opportunity employers don't ask about dependents on the application form, but did ask at interview although as 'not part of the interview'. Had two interviews for a good school in KL and one for a very good school in Brunei, but, alas, have heard nothing from either. Still, I'm a long way from giving up, but it is wearing and not a little costly.
    All the same, well done you! (You B******)

7. Firstly congrats on the job. As for shipping, where in SE Asia are you heading? and how much 'stuff' are you shipping? How to do it depends on if you are doing airfreight or sea-freight. one is by volume the other by a combination of volume and weight.

8. ImmodestyBlaise

Yes it is possible! I too will be heading to teach in Borneo with a non-teaching spouse and 3 children!

9. Wow. I guess you heard back from Brunei! Huge congrats. PM me to let me know where you are heading.
    As for shipping, I have things like toys and bikes and books to ship, as well as some household basics, but no big furniture. I am thinking shipping as it will probably cost a lot less. Thanks to all suggestions so far.

10. ImmodestyBlaise

We can be new best buddies.

11. Cool. It good to know you are in the same boat (so to speak). I PM'd you.