1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

3 interviews in one week!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by laconn, May 21, 2011.

  1. laconn

    laconn New commenter

    Just need to vent somewhere! I have been waiting so long for a job interview and am shortlisted for three in one week! I don't want to complain but it does raise a problem or two! Two are on the same day so I had to decide which one to go to. Went to visit both so made up my mind which one to cancel. Phoned them up and they were very nice about me having to cancel. It purely came down to the distance I would have to be travelling each day - 35 minute journey without rushhour traffic from where we want to live (will be relocating to south of London) compared to a 10 minute drive (in Brighton area).
    Anyway, within 2 hours they rang me back the DH was upset to hear I had cancelled and was there anyway she could make me reconsider as she really liked me when I went to look around the week before. So she recheduled the times to make it possible to attend both interviews. The one in Brighton in the morning with the other interview in the afternoon. But in the mean time I had another phone call with an offer of another interview on Thurs! This one being 10 minutes from where we would want to live in London! So basically I have these options:
    1. Inteview 1 Tues am- Brighton are
    2. Interview 2 Tues pm- London area with a 35min+ commute, plus outer payscale
    3. Interview 3 Thurs am- London area with 10min commute, plus inner payscale
    Obviously If I get the first job I will not have to attend the other interviews. The problem comes down to the other two. I don't know if I want a long commute on top of a busy day teaching but it sounds promising to get a job offer if the DH rang back to ensure I could make it. I dont want to turn down the liklihood of a job and maybe not get the next one. My OH said could I not attend the interview on the Thursday anyway even if I did get offered one on Tues! Which I know I could not do as its breaking all kinds of rules/ettiqutte
    Ah rant over, I just want a job so maybe just see what happens......
  2. laconn

    laconn New commenter

    That is a really long post! feel better getting it off my chest but any advice would be appreciated!
    Laconn xx
  3. First of all - congratulations in getting 3 interviews - yay you!!!
    your applications must be really good now.
    The 1st interview in Brighton is not in the area you are hoping to live in - do you want to stay there? getting from 1 interview with brain intact to another interview - this time in London on the same day sounds very tricky.

    is the long commute school chasing you because they are finding it hard to fill places or keep staff - dodgy area? worth making sure you know what the kids you'll be teaching are like - and what the head is like.

    anyway - not much help i know, but good luck! 3 interviews to choose from is GOOD news - don't forget that!

  4. Good luck! All the Brighton schools have on average 120-150 people applying for them, so you should be feeling suitably smug with yourself! I just hope it's one of the good ones! Let us know how it goes!
  5. laconn

    laconn New commenter

    I probably didnt explain that part very well. I have been looking for schools in Brighton and outer London as we are relocating due to my partners job which is somewhere in the middle so doable for him too. So I would be very happy with a job in Brighton too.
    When I visited the one with the longer drive they said 6 people had been to look around, it had a good ofsted and staff were stable most had been there for quite a while. I did wonder at the time why only a few had been to look around though. hmmm
    I am feeling very happy after looking around some schools in Brighton with a silly amount of people I didn't think I had much chance either! I do like the Brighton school as I visited last week. Fingers crossed for that one then I do not have to worry about the others!
  6. laconn

    laconn New commenter

    When I went to visit I met the head briefly and the DH. Both seemed nice. All the schools I have interviews for have received a good ofsted report in the last few years. I wondered if other people may have pulled out with it being a busy week before resignation date is due. I dunno. Thanks for your input.
  7. I have been in the same dilemma. I had 5 interviews and was then invited to a further 2 but the one I really want is at the end of next week and the others were all before it. I decided not to attend any of the other interviews [​IMG] It may come back to haunt me, but I just felt that I wouldn't be sure about accepting any of the jobs if I was offered them so I felt a bit guilty for wasting their time. I'd have felt really guilty if a headteacher offered me a job and I had to say "well i don't know as I have another interview..."
    If you have a very firm preference, you need to weigh up whether or not you can afford to take the risk of turning down interviews. TBH the school that altered arrangements to accomodate you sounds like a pretty good bet to me. I'd be very impressed if a headteacher was that understanding and remembered me from the visit etc.
  8. laconn

    laconn New commenter

    Thanks Petrapan, I know it is a good position to be in but it causes so many other issues as you know! That was a very brave decision but it is the right one for you!
    Im lucky in that my favourite is probably the first school. So I have decided to take each day as it comes. There are a few hours between the two interviews and hopefully the first school will finish interviewing first and call before the second one with the results! If the second school does call first think I will not pick up (have the excuse that I will be driving home as the journey is a few hours long) and hopefully the first school will ring in the meantime! That is if they both ring that day which I'm hoping they will!
    Hopefully I will get the one I want but at the end of the day if I get any of the jobs It will get a foot in the door in that area and if I am not happy I can always move, even though this isnt ideal.
    Fingers crossed for both of us! Let me know how you get on!


Share This Page