1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

3 interviews and no job, what am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by jodymarie_sowden, Oct 17, 2016.

1. jodymarie_sowden

jodymarie_sowden New commenter

Hello all,

I'm so fed up and upset over my failure to get a teaching assistant role. I had another interview today for an SEN TA position, totally confident because I have over a year's experience in being a TA for SEN, but again I was told that I just wasn't strong enough. This is my 3rd interview in a row now.

I really don't know what else I can do. I over-prepare if anything; I read the school's policies and values, always have very good answers in interviews (my feedback has always said this) and completely sell myself, giving 110% everytime!

When i interview for a primary TA role, I'm told I haven't got enough experience (even though that's why I'm applying!) and after today, apparently I can't even seem to get a job doing something that I've already done :(

If anyone has any advice at all, it would be greatly appreciated.

2. BYusuf

BYusuf Occasional commenter TES Careers peer advisor

With the last interview that you had, what specifically did they say you were not strong enough in?

Unfortunately, sometimes it may simply down to whether the school see you working there...

Are there any particular type of schools that you are most keen to work in or are you aiming to secure a TA SEN role in any school?

3. jodymarie_sowden

Thank you for your reply! They weren't specific, they just said that although my interview skills were great and I gave some good answers, there was strong competition. At yesterday's interview there were clearly some internal candidates going for the post too. I'm not sure I can compete with someone who already works for them.

I'll just keep trying my best. Ideally I want to work in mainstream primary to get that experience, as I've mostly had experience in SEN Primary and Secondary up till now.

4. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

This is a common fallacy. Some internal candidates get appointed; some don't. Last time I interviewed an exceptionally good internal candidate, it was an external candidate who was appointed! Good luck and keep trying

5. jodymarie_sowden

Thank you both for your replies. I'm thrilled to say that I interviewed for a GTA post today, working 1:1 with a boy in EYFS as well as after-school club worker for what seems to be a fantastic school, and I got it!! Hard work certainly does pay off, I'm so glad I never gave up!!

6. BYusuf

BYusuf Occasional commenter TES Careers peer advisor

Many congratulations to you! *hands clapped in delight*