1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

£3 for a bong?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by monicabilongame, Jan 14, 2020.

1. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Its the bong desirer that asked the question not me. Perhaps he's just not interested in the news. I agree with you play a recording or use a different bonger from a Leave voting town rather than London.

2. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Yes, my comments were directed at him, not you.

3. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

£500,000 for a few bell bongs, clearly Brexit is in the hands of some very capable people who will make sure it is a success! How dare the EU try to supress Big Ben - this is what taking back control feels like. First there were blue passports and now this, oh brave new world!

bombaysapphire likes this.
  4. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for the UK.

5. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

I thought bongs were little pipes for smoking dope.

Wrong. That's a chillum Bongs are the long tube thingies.
    Nizeman is a mine of information.

6. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Given that crowd-funding has already raised well over £120,000 in less than 24 hours, I think that will turn out to be another failed Peakster projection. ;)

7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

It's not happening.

8. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I really truly couldnt, via any interpretation of English, care less.
    May any money raised be put to better use, but it wont.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Why can't somebody (with good ear protection) just hit it with a rubber or leather mallet?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Because there is no floor to stand on while doing so.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  11. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I'm sure there's a swivel eyed loon who could oblige.

[​IMG]

nomad, primarycat and burajda like this.
  12. burajda

burajda Star commenter

How about crowd funding an old fashioned end of empire bringing down of the union flag at the European Parliament, complete with band and choir and fireworks. The EU want to send our flag to the EU museum. It should be repatriated by a man in a pith helmet with feathers and brought back to Westminster.

13. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I don't know who that is, but his face rings a bell.

14. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

It could not be done in time even if they'd started building a temporary floor weeks ago.
    I'd like to know what happens to the money raised so far when the whole daft idea fizzles out.
    the idea was only mooted to keep Brexiters wound up about Remainers supposedly trying to scupper Brexit celebrations. WHen, before this week, was the idea of Big Ben being involved ever seriously mentioned?

cissy3 and Aquamarina1234 like this.
  15. nomad

nomad Star commenter

The battle for Big Ben to bong on Brexit night has descended into farce after it emerged that a six-figure sum donated by Brexiteers cannot be used to fund the chiming of Parliament's Great Bell.

After Boris Johnson called on the public to “bung a bob” for Big Ben to sound the moment Britain leaves the EU, more than £130,000 was raised on the Go Fund Me crowdfunding site.

But tonight the House of Commons Commission - chaired by the Speaker - said the money could not be used because of parliamentary rules on financial donations.

The ruling sparked an immediate blame game in Westminster, with Brexiteers pointing the finger at the Speaker and his Remain-heavy committee.

However, the committee, which includes six MPs, hit back, blaming the Prime Minister for encouraging the public to donate without checking whether it was even legal!

mathsmutt likes this.
  16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Like I said - it won't happen.

..and it shouldn't - it's an offensive and stupid idea.

mathsmutt likes this.
  17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Far better to project a wonderful conciliatory message on Parliament in the spirit of this amazing government.

How about F*** EU

18. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Will the donations be returned to the donors?

19. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

Boris Johnson saying something without checking his facts? Who'd have thought it!

NB Maybe ask the family of Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe!

monicabilongame and nomad like this.
  20. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

:confused::confused::confused: