1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

3 days short of maternity entitlement

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by kaytewalsh, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Hello there,

I really need advice that any one has to offer. It's urgent!

I am 24 weeks pregnant and have just been informed that due to my last school finishing my contract 3 days befor the end of the summer term 2009, that i have now not enough continuious service to qualify for the full maternity entitlement.

I have been working under the same LEA for now 3 years.
    My last post was a matrenity post and the head refused to keep me for the last three ( activity days) of term. I didnt recieve the hiloday pay but i have got over that now!

My frustraiton is that i do not qualify for maternity leaving me £1500 short each month.
    Has anyone been in this situatuion before or know of a simular case?
    I have gone to the union about this matter and they are looking further into it.

Another question i have is that if i return to week approx 4 weeks after the baby is born then end up going on to sick (i am entitled to 50 days at full and 50 half) will i be able to recieve that sick pay as i did not complete the maternity leave?

Your help would be gratefully recieved.

Thanks x

2. sorry can't help - have no idea - but didn't want to ignore - I don't think you can do much except leave it with the unions.
    Hope you get it all sorted
    x

3. Sorry you are having such a hard time. I was bullied out of my permanent post when I couldn't conceive - I spent many hours being angry about the maternity rights I'd lost. Wasted hours because I still haven't conceived. I've no idea what rights I'd have now if I conceived but I don't think about it too much.
    You'll be entitled to some money and your union should be able to clarify this - there is also a maternity Q&A here on TES where you can work out what you are entitled to. I know even when I was just on supply I would have got maternity allowance so you would get at least that - it's about £120 a week and you get it for nine months.
    Once you return from maternity leave there's no impact on your entitlement to sick pay so you could return after four weeks and go off sick. However, I would hope you would only do this if you were actually sick and I really hope you aren't! To be honest, childbirth and early motherhood is a very unpredictable business - I've had friends who weren't well enough to return to work that early, you may well not feel able to leave your baby etc. If you have a caesarean you can't drive for six weeks so it's very unlikely you'd be able to work.
    My advice - get your union on the case and then make sure you get what you're entitled to. Then try to forget about what you won't get - it will sour what should be a happy time.

4. Hello,
    I'm not sure I can help but I just wanted to say I am in the same boat - I have been with the same LEA since I started teaching but started a new job this sept, and am due at the beginnig of June, so if I have counted the weeks right (does anyone else get confused with the 15th week before the week before..etc?!) I don't qualify for the money from school. This really got me down when I realised. Then i remembered that I am lucky to be having a baby and in the grand scheme of things it will work out alright in the end.
    I am meeting with school next week to talk about money, leave, etc and I am hoping I have counted wrongly but sadly I'm not optimistic.
    On the other side though, we will still get the statutory pay (I think?I get very confused by all this) so there will be a bit of money coming in. I will have to go back earlier. We are both saving like mad and will probably dip into savings to make the time stretch a little bit more.
    I will try to ask the unions too, good idea.

5. Hi LittleMissCurious, sadly no I finished one job before the end of the summer term ans started a new one in September so I don't think it counts as continuous service. :(
    I will check TEs Faq though, it is good to read around it as much as I can I think!
    Thanks for replying.