1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

3 days a week 1 hour PPA

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by Jenkibubble, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Jenkibubble

Jenkibubble Occasional commenter

Hi, on a temp contract to Xmas which could go permanent after . I currently get 1 hour PPA a week (PE coach takes them ) but this isn't enough time to get English planned (job share does maths ) as well as the other two topics I do !
    In addition , am I obliged to attend every staff meeting ( I work the day it falls on , so does job share but they finish before end of school day ) - should I attend alternate ones , or every one ?
    They go on for hour an a half minimum and It's cutting into valuable prep time , which I could do with !
    TIA

2. Rollo1986

Rollo1986 New commenter

You should attend 60% of staff meetings

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

If you are employed for three days a week, you're presumably on a 0.6 contract.
    Your PPA should be 10% of the timetabled teaching time (not including breaks, lunchtimes). So if there are 15 hours of teaching time on your three days, you should be getting 1.5 hours PPA. If you are not, you can query this. Given the temporary contract, they could perhaps just organise a couple of one hour slots between now and the end of term to give you your entitlement.
    Your planning might not all fit into your PPA time - time was that primary teachers got no PPA time, and although the 10% is a step in the right direction, it may well not be enough.

As for things other than teaching, the maximum a full-time teacher can be directed for is 1265 hours in the year, so for you it is 759. Normally there is a calculation done for the full year, which includes all the meetings and parents evenings. In your case, it would seem reasonable to divide it by 39 weeks, suggesting a little under 19.5 hours a week. You don't include lunchtime, as you are not directed then. So, supposing you are directed to be in school from 8.45 to 3.15, with an hour for lunch, that would be 16.5 hours, leaving an average of 3 hours more. If you are directed to be present from 8.30 to 3.30, that would knock the spare down to 1.5 (on average). It doesn't have to be 60% of staff meetings and 60% of parents evenings - it could be that you do all the staff meetings and your job share does all the parents evenings, for instance. You can't be expected to do anything on a day you don't normally work.

If you are being directed for more time than you should be, you could ask politely which meetings you should skip, or whether the agenda could be organised so that you can leave early if not all items are relevant to you. Alternatively, you might leave it for now, bearing in mind your wish for the contract to become permanent. Sometimes it's wise to choose your battles!

kimb14, strawbs and Kartoshka like this.
  4. BarryIsland

BarryIsland New commenter

In my experience not many schools actually fill the 1265hrs over the year, there is a buffer. Unfortunately as part time they often use this buffer by making part time staff attend all meetings and they are still within directed time total annual hours. ( though they can't ask you to come in on days you don't normally work as you may of course have another job on those days)
    It is therefore the reality that part-time teachers often do a higher proportion of their annual directed time than their full-time colleagues.

lardylegs likes this.
  5. lucykate5

lucykate5 New commenter

I work 3 full days per week, I teach for 64 percent of the time that full time teachers do and I get three hours of ppa over a two week timetable. Hope that helps.

6. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

not correct advice, as explained in frustum's post