1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

3,500 more language teachers needed for EBacc to work

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by JL48, Mar 21, 2016.

1. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

2. salsera

salsera New commenter

Until they make EBacc a compulsory measure on school league tables then they will not need 3500 teachers - we're being made redundant in my department...

3. -myrtille-

-myrtille- Occasional commenter

I just don't know how they expect to increase the number of language teachers in the middle of a retention crisis.

To the best of my knowledge, there are barely enough new MFL teachers being trained each year to fill the gaps left by those who resign/retire. Let alone to increase capacity.

We already have compulsory MFL for all pupils in my school (compulsory GCSE for the top 80% or so, with FCSE for less able pupils) so it doesn't affect us. But I don't know how schools with low take-up and consequently small departments are going to be able to recruit in the current situation.

On the plus side, this puts us in high demand. Which means we can be pickier about which schools we want to work in, and have a better chance of pay progression if Heads want to keep us because they know we'll be tough to replace.

4. salsera

salsera New commenter

You're very fortunate then Myrtille. We really don't have that luxury. There are few jobs around in my area and as I said we are going great through the redundancy process in my department. This is due to the fact that languages are not compulsory ... lower uptake at KS4 also means lower uptake at KS5.
    As I said until the government officially use the Ebacc as a performance indicator for schools then schools can do what they want and with the advent of academies this may not improve.
    Enjoy your position because some of us cannot afford that luxury.

5. -myrtille-

-myrtille- Occasional commenter

I don't think I'm in an unusual position - I see a lot of posts on Facebook from teachers who are worried because languages has just been made compulsory in their school. Or SLT are pushing a large proportion of pupils into it (mid/higher ability) without making it compulsory for all.

I get the impression that plenty of schools are pushing more pupils into languages currently, partly because of Progress 8 and partly because they think it's what Ofsted wants. Whilst it's not the case in all schools, I would certainly say this seems to be happening a lot around my neck of the woods. I can think of several schools locally that have gone down this route.

6. Vladimir

Vladimir Senior commenter

7. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

a) a return to your previous avatar. This one just doesn't do you justice!
    b) some of your usual expert commentary.

8. Vladimir

Vladimir Senior commenter

In reply to:

a) LOL! You don't know who he is, or his significance, do you, Tinkerbell? I know you miss old Nige, though. He'll be back again nearer the time. Why would I need to push for Brexit when the world is conspiring to do that for me? ;)

b) Yes, I know. I do have a way with words. I used to be on fire, baby! Of course, being extinguished regularly by premoderation doesn't help.