1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'3.5% pay rise' - is that much a week for you?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by install, Jul 24, 2018.

1. install

install Star commenter

Is the 3.5% pay rise insulting? Does it mean that much - and is it all possibly pre-election fodder ? :rolleyes:

curl88 likes this.
  2. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I think we’d have been pleased with 3.5% if that is what we were getting. Most of us won’t get that and my part time increase will provide about three fancy coffees a month (as an example). It should have been 3% across the board.

-Maximilian- and install like this.
  3. install

install Star commenter

Completely agree - a 'tiered' pay increase of up to 3.5% doesn't seem to cut the mustard :cool:

-Maximilian- and JohnJCazorla like this.
  4. susanrk

susanrk Occasional commenter

I'm UPS 2 with a TLR. Will I get 1 or 2%?

install likes this.
  5. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

wonder what they will do when those at the bottom still carry on leaving, the retention issue is very little to do with pay.

6. install

install Star commenter

I know. What a pity they didn't announce Overtime pay and bonus pay for all teachers; or that all hts and slt must actually teach to ease the burden of finances; or that teachers will receive backdated pay : or that UPS4 and UPS5 will be returned. Such a wasted chance maybe to win over those in teaching and those thinking of training :cool:

-Maximilian-, agathamorse and Alice K like this.
  7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I suppose there must be some perks to being a state school teacher...

needabreak likes this.
  8. aypi

aypi Senior commenter

Because of the tiering, does it not work out about 1000 pounds each? Surely that is fairer?

install likes this.
  9. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I was UPS3 when I retired this summer so I would be getting 2%. This is lower than the rate of inflation so it's another pay cut on top of the cuts teachers have had for the last 10 years.

At least my pension keeps pace with inflation.

needabreak, JL48, curl88 and 3 others like this.
  10. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

You’ll get 2% on your UPS2.

Your TLR...anyone’s guess.

Could be 1%, 2%, or 3.5%. Could be 0%.

install likes this.
  11. lantan

lantan New commenter

I guess the same goes for MPS + TLR? Is the 3% likely to be added onto MPS point even if there is a TLR, do you reckon?
    (I had a frightening thought yesterday that anyone with a TLR would automatically be considered something else rather than a "teacher", so could only hope for a 1.5%...)

install likes this.
  12. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

60% of us - mostly older, more experienced teachers - are effectively having to take a pay cut in order to provide a meagre pay rise for younger, mostly inexperienced teachers that will do little to improve recruitment or retention.

Headlines of a 3.5% pay rise are misleading the public into thinking we will all have a substantial pay rise when nothing could be further from the truth.

needabreak, install and -Maximilian- like this.
  13. hs9981

hs9981 Lead commenter

Experienced in what? I don’t mean that in a disrespectful way, but I’ve worked with a fair few older teachers in the UK who view checking their emails once a day as ‘too much’.

But yes pay rises in the UK are pants.

14. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

Almost certainly TLRs will be kept completely seperate, that’s what’s happened in the past.

So if you’re on MPS4 and TLR2a you’ll get 3.5% on MPS4, and who knows what on the TLR.

lantan and install like this.
  15. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

And I have worked with a fair few younger, and older, teachers who haven't got a clue.

Twas ever so.

16. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

which version of inflation though? Is it like the student loans stitch up?

install likes this.
  17. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

I don’t mean that in a disrespectful way, but I’ve worked with a fair few older teachers in the UK who view checking their emails once a day as ‘too much’.
    first you meant it in a completely disrespectful way and second why does the ability to read an email make one a better or worse teacher of Physics, Classics or Geography?
    The ability to control a class is probably of more relevance and few older teachers have a problem with that. Or behaving appropriately in the staff room either.

needabreak, agathamorse and install like this.
  18. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Well if you're teaching five periods in a five period day, and may have a duty or two as well, then they probably have a point.

Perhaps some teachers would do better to be teaching their pupils rather than sitting looking at a screen while the children "get on with it"

19. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

Perhaps some teachers would do better to be teaching their pupils rather than sitting looking at a screen while the children "get on with it"
    or even being in a classroom instead of someone else's "coaching

needabreak, agathamorse and install like this.
  20. shevington

shevington Occasional commenter

Many will becoming on this web site in September asking has there been a Pay Rise ! Some will be paying their student loan again because they earn more than £25,000 or some higher up MPS will be paying extra pension contributions because they have crossed the Threshold on to the next band of pension contributions.

curl88 and install like this.