1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

3-4 year old Activity

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by aimeek97, Jan 25, 2019.

1. aimeek97

aimeek97 New commenter

Hi, I have an interview in a Pre-school and have been asked to prepare a practical activity to last 30-40 minutes with 8-10 3 to 4 year olds. My main expertise is year 1 and was wondering if anyone had any wow ideas. I have been thinking about using the story of noahs ark and matching animals together just struggling on an practical activity the children can do. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. May2

May2 Established commenter

Noahs Ark story sounds good as you can have lots of chat about animals and do a counting activity. Talk about how many make a pair etc. Maybe you take a big laminated ark picture and possibly have pictures of animals to stick on it as you tell the story to get the children involved or perhaps show picture afterwards and take some playdough and animal cutters for them to make pairs of animals , you could start with cutters then see who could make their own. Could end with song 'the animals went in two by two' may be you sing or cd, see if they know and can join in or find toy animal to match when sung about.
    Or ask them if they know any animal songs. There is lots you can do with this story.
    In an interview for this age, your interaction with the children and your rapport is most important really rather than what you actually teach.

aimeek97 likes this.
  3. michelle_ovenden

michelle_ovenden New commenter

Hi
    I did a similar interview and I had the children build an assault course. We used various items such as hoola hoops, planks, traffic cones etc. I was able to instigate conversations about why it was important to be healthy and keep our bodies fit. It was very successful, the children loved it and I was offered the job. It covers the PSED, Physical, Numeracy requirements of the EYFS.

4. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Take a look at 'Development Matters' (the EYFS curriculum) and make sure you know what the children will be learning during your activity. @May2 has some nice ideas and is correct that your interaction with the children is the most important thing for an interview, but the interviewers will also be looking for teaching and may well ask you some questions about the learning. Make sure you understand the EYFS curriculum and what the children learn from activities like playdough, singing, reading a story, etc.