1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2nd year teaching, new school feeling so nervous!

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by emmarc, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I am an Art & Design teacher and recently completed my induction year in a very chalenging school. I had no full time HoD and a member of staff went off sick in Feb leaving myself and the other teacher in the dept. to cover their lessons for the rest of the year. I had a very unprofessional mentor, who also had 2 months off sick during my induction. Anyway, I made it thought and I have got a job in a fantastic school, with a HoD(!) starting in 2 weeks. Thing is, I am more nervous than last year. I am worried about taking on a vertical tutor group, as I am unsure what to expect, and because the new department is such a high achieving one I feel nervous about my own ability and teaching. Is this normal?!

2. Hi,
    I am an Art & Design teacher and recently completed my induction year in a very chalenging school. I had no full time HoD and a member of staff went off sick in Feb leaving myself and the other teacher in the dept. to cover their lessons for the rest of the year. I had a very unprofessional mentor, who also had 2 months off sick during my induction. Anyway, I made it thought and I have got a job in a fantastic school, with a HoD(!) starting in 2 weeks. Thing is, I am more nervous than last year. I am worried about taking on a vertical tutor group, as I am unsure what to expect, and because the new department is such a high achieving one I feel nervous about my own ability and teaching. Is this normal?!

3. I had a similar experience as an NQT and moved at the end of the year. It's perfectly normal to feel a mixture of excitement and nerves. I found that it took a while to settle in to my new school, although they were friendly and accommodating. You'll probably find that things work a little differently. My advice would be to ask lots of questions. I did and it made my life easier. From speaking to others, I think it's quite normal to feel nervous after 6 weeks off. However, if you coped with last year you need to believe in yourself.
    I've previously worked at a school with vertical tutor groups and it wasn't very cohesive, in my experience. I had approximately 4 pupils from each year group, a lot of them with sibling links. I would encourage pupils to mix as much as possible to help the new year 7s integrate. Good luck.

4. I'm feeling exactly the same as you both. I completed my NQT year at my training school so I was in a bit of a comfort zone, now I'm at a new school for my second year and I'm feeling pretty nervous. I have my own room so I'm really excited about getting in and putting my own mark on everything, but it's a difficult school and I'm convinced I've forgotten how to teach and I'll be found out!

After reading through the forum, I think it's perfectly normal to feel this way and even the most seasoned teachers get nerves leading up to September. I just remind myself how much I hated my second placement school in the first week, but settled in and ended up loving it. Just do everything you can to make your first week as pain free as possible. I've devised a baseline assessment test (I'm a music teacher) to see what level my pupils are up to and to also get their thoughts and opinions on music.

Good luck!