1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2nd reading of the Education Bill

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by historygrump, Jan 31, 2011.

1. historygrump

historygrump Senior commenter Forum guide

I am under the impression from the dept of Education Internet site that the 2nd reading of the new education Bill is to take place next tuesday the 8th Feb 2011. So it is important that teachers email and pester their MP's to ask questions and make speeches in the debate on;
    1. Why are instructors, cover supervisors, HLTA's and TA's being allowed to teach lessons on a temporary and permanent basis in our schools, when they have no form of teacher training. Is it acceptable for these people to be used at the expence of our students education and the thousands of teachers without a permanent post. The Bill talks about improving teaching standards and also education standards, so contact your MP and ask, is using people without the teacher training or academic background going to improve teaching and education standards? Ask should we adopt the Scottish system and make it illegal for anyone is not a teacher from supervising, covering and teaching lessons.
    2. Ask them to find out what the government is going to do appoint the thousands of unemployed experienced and NQT's, is the government going to develop a policy to get them into a post. Point out the the TDA is rumoured to have cut the training places for teachers and the ONS states that there are 49,000 unemployed teachers and that is besides the 51,000 supply teachers. Despite this the dept of education insist that there is a shortage of teachers. Also raise the issue of the induction period for English NQT's is out of date due to the lack of jobs and that also point out that Scotland and Wales recognised this problem and introduced a 5 year period for NQT's to do an induction in 2005. This induction issue is forcing many of our teaching colleagues out of the profession, while untrained people continue to teach without any form of restrictions.
    But please do act and you can find you MP on the UK parliament site, look at the icon MPs and Lords and this will allow you to access their email for the office at Westminster.

2. historygrump

I am under the impression from the dept of Education Internet site that the 2nd reading of the new education Bill is to take place next tuesday the 8th Feb 2011. So it is important that teachers email and pester their MP's to ask questions and make speeches in the debate on;
    1. Why are instructors, cover supervisors, HLTA's and TA's being allowed to teach lessons on a temporary and permanent basis in our schools, when they have no form of teacher training. Is it acceptable for these people to be used at the expence of our students education and the thousands of teachers without a permanent post. The Bill talks about improving teaching standards and also education standards, so contact your MP and ask, is using people without the teacher training or academic background going to improve teaching and education standards? Ask should we adopt the Scottish system and make it illegal for anyone is not a teacher from supervising, covering and teaching lessons.
    2. Ask them to find out what the government is going to do appoint the thousands of unemployed experienced and NQT's, is the government going to develop a policy to get them into a post. Point out the the TDA is rumoured to have cut the training places for teachers and the ONS states that there are 49,000 unemployed teachers and that is besides the 51,000 supply teachers. Despite this the dept of education insist that there is a shortage of teachers. Also raise the issue of the induction period for English NQT's is out of date due to the lack of jobs and that also point out that Scotland and Wales recognised this problem and introduced a 5 year period for NQT's to do an induction in 2005. This induction issue is forcing many of our teaching colleagues out of the profession, while untrained people continue to teach without any form of restrictions.
    But please do act and you can find you MP on the UK parliament site, look at the icon MPs and Lords and this will allow you to access their email for the office at Westminster.

3. I completely endorse everything that Historygrump has said and I also urge everybody to do as suggested and put pressure on your MPs to seriously ask questions about the governments education policy with regard to the employment of teachers and misemployment of support staff.
    I would also urge everyone to examine the answers to questions put to the Secretary of State in the Commons on this and other issues. For instance Simon Danzcuck MP asked about the use of unqualified staff to teach lessons. Nick Gibb was delegated to reply and he did not refer at all to the use of Teaching Assistants etc for teaching purposes. He only referred to unqualified teachers as if he did not know about the difference between unqualified staff and unqualified teachers. Furthermore he did not mention that many of the unqualified teachers could possibly be teaching illegally.
    Furthermore Michael Gove was asked what qualifications would be needed to teach. He did not answer the question but just stated that teachers would need to be well qualified; he did not mention at all the need for any recognised teaching qualification.
    Before the publication of the Education White Paper (the importance of teaching) Lord Hill informed me that the role of Teaching Assistants would be considered in the Whitle Paper. There was no such mention of this in the White Paper so it seems clear to me that this government is not prepared to protect the role and status of qualified teachers which has been the claim of others in the education service.

4. historygrump

It shocks me, in that teachers are moaning about the lack of work and job opportunities, but when asked to email their MP to get them to ask questions and put forward amendments like these below, they seem unable to do so.
    A) Only trained teachers are allowed to cover, supervise and teach lessons in English schools and academies, including PPA time.
    B) The induction period is increased to 5 years and LEA's are required to find and support an NQT through their induction.
    These 2 rules exist in Scotland and have been successful in maintaining standards and should be used in England.
    <u>So get campaigning, contact your MP</u> I have even persuaded my brother, who is not a teacher, but a parent to contact his MP on the issue of unqualified people teaching, instead of qualified teachers.