1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2nd in Dept. duties

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by Carnhot, Mar 21, 2013.

1. I am a HOD in a growing school. A 2nd is being appointed. I have never had one before. What are the responsibilities of a 2nd? I am so used to doing everything myself!

Thanks

2. I am a HOD in a growing school. A 2nd is being appointed. I have never had one before. What are the responsibilities of a 2nd? I am so used to doing everything myself!

Thanks

3. Find out what the person's strengths are are delegate work you think he can handle. Or you could oversee the whole dept but give your 2nd responsibility for a whole Key Stage while you took on the rest. In many depts where I work the 2nd does KS3 and the HoD manages KS4. It depends on what suits you best. Or your line manager may be able to give you some advice.

4. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

I can send you a list of how I delegate things in my dept - send me a PM.

5. seismic

seismic New commenter

Most of our 2nds are termed KS3 leaders. Managing KS3 curriculum, monitoring KS3 work and lessons, reports, data and intervention at that level, KS2 liaison.

6. Ask your 2ic if there's anything specific they'd like to take charge of. When I was initially appointed as 2ic, I developed ICT within the faculty, and since then have taken on responsibilities each year in a new area. It has given me enough knowledge and experience to apply for HOD roles. And I was always enthusiastic about my role, because I'd chosen to do it.
    Some ideas:
    ICT
    Assessment
    Reporting
    SEN
    G&T
    Extra Curricular
    Schemes of Work

7. Thank you all.