1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2nd in Dept - Crisis of Confidence!

Discussion in 'English' started by FarSideofParadise, Apr 19, 2018.

1. FarSideofParadise

FarSideofParadise Occasional commenter

Hi all

So I'm applying for 2nd in dept jobs at the moment. I have a fair amount of (official) department responsibility at the moment and hold a TLR3 for whole school responsibility as well.

My problem is that as I'm looking through the person spec etc I just don't believe in my self, or that I have done enough to warrant even being considered!

Can anyone who has experience of applying/holding 2nd/HoD positions offer any encouragement or advice?

2. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

I started watching Billions last night and there's a scene where one of the employees goes into the company psychologist to say pretty much what you've just said. She tells him to listen to the quieter voice that's telling you you're awesome and tell that other (louder and more obnoxious voice telling you you're a fake) to shut the hell up. You can watch it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBpeYD1gneY
    Look at what you've achieved - those things weren't accidents. You didn't fool anyone to get those responsibilities - they saw something in you, and decided you were the best person for the job. Reflect on your commitment and dedication to what you do - those things aren't in everyone (nor even every teacher).
    If you can find a friend to talk it through with, perhaps verbalising will help you remember how you do indeed, not just meet, but exceed the criteria.
    You can do this.
    Remember to breathe.

fionab0_1 and FarSideofParadise like this.
  3. FarSideofParadise

Thank you so much for this! It's weird how you convince yourself that you just fluke your way through everything.

That article is really interesting and I think I'll print it off and reflect on it when I have a wobble.

4. littledragon25

littledragon25 New commenter

I've been 2nd in dept for 2 years and I am still fluking my way through it.

Honestly, write a list of all your achievements, all the things you have done that DO show you are capable and deserving of the role. Read it regularly. Apply. Smash the interview. Get the job. Smash the job. Win.

FarSideofParadise likes this.
  5. FarSideofParadise

Thank you!

Were there any curve ball interview questions that threw you? I'm prepared for almost anything but I know schools have a tendency to ask the one thing you didn't think of.

6. littledragon25

littledragon25 New commenter

Honestly, I don't remember. It passed by in a blur. But the kind of things they will ask are typical interview questions, with a sprinkling of "do you understand data" type questions. They might ask stuff about how you would manage having difficult conversations with established department members, or how you will manage TLR plus workload (testing resilience).