1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2nd in Department Interview

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by karora, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Hi, I have an interview this week for the role of 2nd of department in Maths.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice or interview questions they may ask? I have no idea what to expect as this is the first teaching interview I would have been to since I got given my current job!

The job description says they're looking for someone to help create and establish a curriculum for KS3.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks a lot!

2. By law there has to be a question about safeguarding.
    The most important thing to remember is that you need to have evidence or examples for all of your answers i.e. what impact things you have implemented have made, examples of good SOWs, examples of training you have provided, moderation, results etc.
    The other thing to remember is that as a 2i/c they need to know that you will be able to deputise for your HOD if they are absent, set cover, lead etc but also that you will be able to support them at all times. It is really important that you can both lead but also be a team player.
    Re the specific role i.e. KS3 curriculum development you would obviously would need to know the curriculum inside out, have looked at examples of other curriculum structures in other schools etc (lots available online), new developments in your subject area, new Ofsted criteria, new initiatives in education.
    My overall advice is just to be yourself, be honest and try to give examples wherever possible.
    Good luck x

3. Would agree with what the previous poster has said. I am a 2nd in department in Maths (KS4 Curriculum Manager). They may ask about your ability to demonstrate results (as previous poster mentioned about results) so discuss examples of classes which you have had have achieved good results. They may also ask what you would do to support a colleague who was struggling and what you would do to support them. They may also ask about intervention strategies and how you would identify underperfoming students/classes. These are questions I had when I was interviewed for a 2 i/c post.
    Good luck and let us know the outcome of your interview!

4. Thanks a lot to both of you for the advice... was really useful.

And I got the job!! :D

5. Congratulations!
    All the hard work starts now!! You'll learn lots in the role and it may seem daunting at first but once you get used to the role it'll be fine I'm sure.
    Congratulations again. :)