1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2ic Interview

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by bookfriend, Oct 17, 2017.

1. bookfriend

bookfriend New commenter

Hi there, I've got an interview this week for the position of 2ic of English and I'm wondering if anyone can suggest what types of questions I may be asked? I'm not sure whether to pitch my expectations more towards the 'teacher' end of things or the 'HoD' end of things...

2. MissHallEnglish

MissHallEnglish Occasional commenter Forum guide and community helper

Both! As second you'll need a handle on the teaching side of things - how to intervene with low ability, SEN, PPS etc across the department as well as in your classes. You'll need to be able to talk about driving standards; dealing with 'difficult' staff in your team; making sure policies are being adhered to and what you'd do if not. They may offer you a 'situation' or a 'what would you do in these circumstances?' type question too. Is there someone in Maths or Science in your school you could talk to about interview questions, as they'll have specific experience of your school's interview process?
    Good luck :)

3. Quartermaster

Quartermaster New commenter

I had a 2ic interview at the end of last year and it was a mix of questions, probably not far off of a HOD set of questions.
    Data, departmental policy, whole school issues (pupil,premium, fsm, the most able etc). Oh and the “where do you see yourself in 1, 5 yrsl etc.
    Good luck!

4. bookfriend

bookfriend New commenter

Thanks very much both! Really helpful.