1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

29th April Off.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Dub73, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Was wonderingif any other schools out there have decided to move their Easter holidays so the wedding on the 29th is included in them.

2. Our hols were already scheduled for that time. However, due to there being some schools in (and having a run of a few 4 day weeks with May Day, Easter Weekend and the Wedding) and some schools off, those who are off on the wedding are having a day in lieu off later in the year. Suits me. I wasn't expecting anything.

3. So should all schools be offering a day in lieu?

4. Unsure...this wasn't a school decision. The director of education for the County has told all schools in the County that they can have the day off...and when to take it too.

5. Why, exactly? We don't get days off in lieu for the other bank holidays that fall in school holidays- Easter, May and August for example.

6. Have heard of lots of schools that are getting the day back later on in the term as it is an extra one the government has given and not a normal bank holiday. Just wondered what was happening in other schools.

7. Its not a Bank Holiday, it is a Public Holiday!
    Our HT told us she could open if she wished.

8. taj

taj

All the schools in our authority and the neighbouring authority are taking the last day of the summer term as 29th April falls during our Easter holiday.

9. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Schools in my LA (and I know in other areas) are getting a day in Lieu as it is a national holiday.

10. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

It is a bank holiday and the head can open on that day but staff must then have the day off in lieu at another time - our contract has been amended for this year to reduce the nukmber of days on which we are available to teach to 194.: Statutory Instrument 2011 No. 192 titled ‘The School Teachers’ Pay and Conditions (amendment) Order 2011’

11. So why is this one differetn from the other ones I mentioned?

12. We were told that some people were having the day off because their Easter holidays did not include the wedding (they had the easter holidays then a few days at work then the day off for the wedding) Our Easter holiday includes the wedding. As some people were having the day off, everyone was entitled to it so we were getting it as a day in leui. The difference with other bank holidays is that they fall in everyones holiday so everyone is the same. Does that make sense? I know what I mean! lol.