1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

28°C in the shade. You?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by sodalime, Jun 27, 2019.

1. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

The strange thing is that although the flowers are massive because of the weather, our apple tree will have very few, if any, apples, whereas last year it was so loaded with apples that we've only just finished eating those in the freezer. My neighbour, a gardener, said that the apple trees are the same everywhere. Do any of you have apple trees and is it a bad year for yours?

2. stanley4shoes

stanley4shoes Occasional commenter

my cherry tree, which creates an annual crop so sour it's legendary and only really serves as a bird feeder, seems relatively sparse this year despite hanging onto its blossom for longer than usual. Wonder whether fewer insects were around at the right time

3. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Last year we had loads of very small apples because our two trees made so much blossom. This year I pruned a lot of the flowering shoots off so they made fewer but bigger. Currently they both have loads of developing apples and it looks like being a bumper crop.

There's a small orchard I look after of about 30 young trees, they are doing pretty well too, not all of them produce much but looking better than last year.

border_walker and magic surf bus like this.
  4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

The year didn't start well for them when I went on a apple tree pruning course and put what I'd learned into practice. They've survived a long overdue drastic winter pruning and are growing again, but only the cheapo Aldi apple tree is developing fruit this year. They're about 4 years old and were getting way too straggly. Fingers crossed for next year.

Some would say prune them in the summer to concentrate the tree's efforts into growing the fruit. I suspect I may be doing that soon in an orchard in a park where I do voluntary work, but they're mature trees.

The real problem has been the pear tree I planted earlier this year. Apart from developing some tiny shrivelled leaves it's remained dormant, so last night I rushed it into intensive care in a large pot full of compost sprinkled liberally with Growmore, and it's under observation.

5. JosieWhitehead

Last year we had a glut of apples and I rather think that when this happens, trees take a year to rest, but other people have said that their trees also aren't doing well this year, so perhaps it has something to do with the weather. We have a glut of roses though/ :)

Mangleworzle likes this.
  6. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I bought GD a patio apple tree 2 yrs ago. It had 4 apples the first year, 6 the next, and this year it had 14 blossoms. It has no apples at all.

7. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

They can get into a cycle of bearing in alternate years if they aren't pruned properly or at all. In this part of the country it's turning out to be a good year for them as we've had some early summer rain whereas last year we had quite a long drought in early summer so many trees dropped their fruit, had fruit that didn't fill out properly and many of the fruits that did appear were pecked at by birds looking for moisture so causing them to rot and fall off.

There's always winners and losers whatever the weather, our roses are looking good too and some Verbascum that should be biennials and died down have come up with leaves like cabbages and flowering spikes nearly as tall as me. The mint of all things is having a poor year though.

JosieWhitehead likes this.
  8. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

Ivar, I know an old wives tale. If you sit on a brick wall you will get piles.

9. JosieWhitehead

Yes, I rather think our apple tree requires a good pruning because we've had it a long time. We have pruned it each year but not given it a heavy pruning. There again others in this area have found that their trees are not bearing much fruit this year so it has probably something to do with the weather.

10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So far this is a very pleasant summer...

Some rain, bits of sun, a nice breeze... all rather lovely. Now I've said that it'll be a heatwave from hell when school ends ... or a sudden arctic blast!

bombaysapphire likes this.
  11. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

The thing is, it is different in different parts. Here (North Wales) it hasn't been too bad, apart from the usual mis-forecasting. Scotland seems to look a bit wet every day when the forecast is on. I have holidayed there when its like that. I get the impression it has been quite dry in the South East.

12. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

And backlit?

13. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Does your headgear match your apron?
    [​IMG]

nomad likes this.
  14. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

How to take the shine off!

15. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

We must have loads of Italian tourists here.

16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Does Maleficent approve of you posting pictures of other women online?