1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

28°C in the shade. You?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by sodalime, Jun 27, 2019.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

@bombaysapphire will love that pic.

bombaysapphire and sodalime like this.
  2. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

Yup, Great pic :)

bombaysapphire likes this.
  3. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

As I head off to the party, I think:

The reality will be:

sodalime likes this.
  4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

In French Catalonia, 20 minutes from Perpignan which, yesterday broke its own weather record with 42.4°

We only got 37.7° where we are. What a swizz!

But still hotter than beautiful #Estepona, where next-door toddler who calls me "abuelita" ( his own Granny lives in Argentina) has told me via WhatsApp that he's watering my plant pots for me.

Best wishes.

5. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Do those dogs have carrying handles?

6. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

I hope you are enjoying the party Jude!

bombaysapphire likes this.
  7. stanley4shoes

stanley4shoes Occasional commenter

They’d like that, lazy beasts, they were in their harnesses as we were camping and slight design flaw greyhound heads are the same size as their neck. he’s the most agile of the bunch but the lurcher (ginger and white ) only has one front leg hence wearing his harness side saddle

8. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

West Yorkshire has been hot today but this evening we have cloud and I thought the threat of rain earlier and there is a most pleasant cool breeze. Truly lovely. Has anyone else noticed how tall the flowers have grown this year? I've never seen antirrhinums, foxgloves, delphiniums, poppies etc etc so very tall - and I have lived in our home for 32 years and never seen roses so very big ever. It's like a tropical paradise thanks to the heavy rain and the warm sunshine. A bit too hot for me today - about 26 I think.

sodalime likes this.
  9. JosieWhitehead

Absolutely p e r f e c t for me.

sodalime likes this.
  10. JosieWhitehead

Not in weather like this - surely? No, cooler Yorkshire is better in summer, ha ha

11. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I've been nekkid for 3 days! Xx

12. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Lovely in the sea today. Lurchers and daughter enjoying the cool water.

Cold beer, new potatoes and salad off the allotment and then Fontaines D.C. Goat Girl, and some other stuff at Glastonbury.

Even by the sea, it's still stifling at 11:30 p.m.

JosieWhitehead and sodalime like this.
  13. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Well get some ruddy clothes back on - it's Sunday. You don't want to put the neighbours off their psalms. :)

14. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Good for you! Reminds me of that joke about the old folks home ...

sodalime likes this.
  15. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

Yes. Now that you mention it i was looking at the foxgloves that have self seeded in one part of my garden - and they are tall this year, or maybe i have shrunk since last year. I really like the white ones.

:D

16. colpee

colpee Star commenter

30 something degrees on the beach yesterday, but bloody freezing in the sea - not that Wee Pee cared :rolleyes:

756EA86E-69CC-4169-94D8-D6CD25791207.jpeg

17. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

The things that poor Mr.D. has to do to stop you wandering off again.

Dunteachin likes this.
  18. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Thanks for the tag. I really do. Beauties!

lanokia likes this.
  19. smurphy6

smurphy6 Senior commenter

Tall summer plants are a sign that the coming winter will be a bad one. When the plants are low then the winter will be mild - nature provides seeds, nuts, fruit etc for the animals, birds and insects to feed on over winter so if food sources grow low to or on the ground then there will not be wet, frost or snow cover. If all the plants that provide food sources are higher up then it implies that there will be ground wet, frost and snow. Trust nature - it’s telling us it’s going to be a cold winter.

Have a look in your area - how high are the blackberry flowers, other types of berries and seeds growing. Where I am everything is high up - a good metre off the ground.

20. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

You'd be better off divining the weather to come from the entrails of slaughtered goats. It is about as accurate. The tall growth of the vegetation is simply due to all the heavy rain we had followed by periods of sunshine, longer days, and warmer temperatures. The saturated soil allows the plants to maximise photosynthesis drawing up water at maximum rate and producing sugars then other products as fast as they can. It has nothing to do with the future, as no plant can dinine the future, they are just working at optimum currently. Do you have any other old wives tales to impart?

border_walker likes this.