1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

28°C in the shade. You?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by sodalime, Jun 27, 2019.

1. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Very nearly. We've now decided on a cold starter, a cold pud (Raspberry Pavlova) and salad with the main course (roasted veg lasagne). It's become more of an assemblage than cooking, I'm glad to say.

sodalime and smoothnewt like this.
  2. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I spent all day in the kitchen yesterday catering for eleven - my old dept coming over for dinner.
    We ate in the garden, and I would have welcomed a nice, balmy evening of the sort we will be having today.
    We sat out until late - wrapped in jackets and fleeces. Could certainly have done with some heat!

sodalime likes this.
  3. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Fun in the sun? My ar.... bottom! As I said earlier I am suffering from the worst "cold" in years. It must be manflu. I'm running a temperature, leaking snot like a tap, coughing my lungs up, and have a fearsome headache. It isn't that superhot here, as there is an thinnish overcast. I feel alternately hot and cold, and have been up since 5:30, and now I'm knackered. I can't remember when I last took pills, but I'm going to take some anyway. Woe is me. So I can neither "appreciate" the weather, nor really need to keep out of it.

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Been doing a little experiment. I've put one of those black PVC camping 'Shower bag' solar water heaters on my shed roof, half full with 10 litres of water in. I doubt if it'll be more than lukewarm by then end of our hottest day so far.

[​IMG]

Put the same bag with 10 litres on the roof of a camper van in Italy or southern France and I'd be scalding my hands in the evening washing up water. I showered under one once, but that was in Biarritz - not sure I'd try it in Bournemouth.

sodalime likes this.
  5. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Aha! So THAT is what a "douche bag" is!

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Downside to the good weather... neighbours son smoking dope in his back garden so causing the smell to come into our house... if we want doors and windows open.

7. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Phone call to the rozzers? ;)

lanokia likes this.
  8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Considering how I feel towards them right now [litter from new McDonalds left on the dividing wall between our houses]... tempted.

FrankWolley likes this.
  9. stanley4shoes

stanley4shoes Occasional commenter

one of those on top of my van last weekend in Bakewell was too hot to wash up with in the evening.

it's raining here, bliss

sodalime and magic surf bus like this.
  10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

One for the climate = weather crowd.

From July 1947
    [​IMG]

Sometimes weather is just weather...

sodalime likes this.
  11. Grandsire

Grandsire Senior commenter

It’s 32 degrees outside right now, but I’ve kept the doors, windows and curtains closed in rooms facing the sun all day, so now the house feels nice and cool, especially after walking in from the garden, where the feat feels almost solid in the air. I haven’t done much - just lying in the shade listening to the birds and reading. The sensible cat has spent the day sleeping in the breeze on a shady windowsill; the dim one has been trying snuggle up close to me!

Intrigued by the water-heating bags - must try one of those! In a similar attempt to be creative, I’ve put a bag of white chocolate buttons out on the patio so I have something to drizzle over my strawberries this evening. Mmmmmm!

sodalime likes this.
  12. stanley4shoes

my 4 legged muppets have been remarkably sensible, for them, today and shade bathed under the hosed down tent fly sheet (cheap skate's gazebo substitute). the littlest was sprawled in their paddling pool under there!

Those shower bags are good, just thick black plastic. I fitted out my own basic camper and use one of those instead of having a water heater fitted.

sodalime likes this.
  13. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Met Office chance of precipitation forecast = 5%, now raining - oh the sense of privilege.

sodalime likes this.
  14. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

Lan, I don't think anyone wants to debate you on this ;) But you can always try a third time and see if you get a bite :p

Dogs? Goats? Pot-bellied pigs? Shrews? ;)

Today has been overcast and nicely mild = 21°C And we had a delightful, slow moving thunderstorm to add atmosphere. The flashes of lighting were subdued, the rain wasn't torrential and the thunder was rumbly rather than CRACKing.

You are the chosen ONE :)

15. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

No wonder :( Cyber get well soon hug.

16. stanley4shoes

Sodalime, they pretend to be goats but are actually 2 greyhounds and a lurcher

[​IMG]

bombaysapphire and sodalime like this.
  17. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

The heat has stopped both of the tube lines that would get me to the restaurant we're going to tonight. Looking for a taxi now.

18. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I'm pretty sure that the police won't turn out for one person smoking their own dope in their own back garden. Every police force has its own practices but in most they'd have to be having a very slow crime day indeed before they got involved in someone smoking it who wasn't in a public place or in public view.

My next door neighbour smokes it in his garden too - him not his son - and I happen to know he's a senior City management consultant!

sodalime likes this.
  19. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

:) I'm not sure if anyone else can see the photo you posted, but i can't. Sorry. Do they eat knickers from the washing line? Thistles?

20. stanley4shoes

hmm try this way (not posted an image on here before)

[​IMG]

21. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Not looking for a debate... little point. It usually just results in personal abuse [not you]... just pointing out that simplistic media narratives can be easily dispelled with a little effort... all just smoke and mirrors.

[and no I'm not dismissing climate change, I'm saying one hot day does not an apocalypse make]

Ivartheboneless and sodalime like this.