1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

25p to use my credit card!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by harsh-but-fair, Dec 23, 2010.

1. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

a lot of the shops wont allow you to pay witha debit card unless the price of the goods is ober £10...except tescos and the ilk..they suffer the charges.

2. It was 25p for goodness sake. It is not a rip off - some of us have already explained to you why those charges are made.

3. Again, they have the power to negotiate better rates from card companies. Even the jump from a few thousand to a few tens of thousand transactions can make a big difference in the rates offered - imagine how many transactions Tesco have?

4. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

yes i can......i was in te queues today lol
    Mayhem!

5. The big supermarkets refused to take debit cards when first introduced as the charges were so high. They cut a deal with the banks on account of their high volumes and importance in pursuading customers to use the cards.

6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

It is 25p for the pleasure of spending money in their shop! That is why I will always pay cash or not shop there is they charge. Biggest ever rip off was a holiday I paid for some years back. The balance to pay was £3.5K and the travel agent had a 4% charge so that would have been another £140! So we took the cash from the bank, crossed the road and paid it into the travel agent! After I got the receipt I said that my brother would be popping in later, they would recognise him instantly as he would be wearing a stocking mask!

7. It is 25p for the convenience of paying with a credit card.

8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Convenient for who? How much do shopkeepers lose through staff theft from the till. Much less likely with sales on plastic!

9. Nothing if they have decent procedures in place.
    I worked in a newsagents when I was younger and it would have been quite difficult to take anything from the till!

10. I have worked the tills. It is nigh on impossible to fiddle.

11. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Gosh, I've never been charged to use my debit card or credit card (even Amex).
    I guess I'm just lucky. And grateful!

12. I have a local shop that charges to use a debit card for purchases under £10. They don't do it because they gain anything from it. They are more than happy to hold anything I want to buy while I cross the road to the cashpoint, so I can pay in cash.
    Another local business stopped taking any card transactions at all, a few months before it went under. It never had a high turnover, so bank charges were just more than it could cope with.

13. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Just found this, my how we change:) some old names and some still here;)

ScotSEN likes this.