1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

25p to use my credit card!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by harsh-but-fair, Dec 23, 2010.

1. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Well he gets charged by the bank for you using it, so he's just passing on the pain ...

Ikea have been doing this for years.

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Is it because you used the Elfland Bank card?

3. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

Ikea used to charge an extortionate 75p for Mastercard, but they don't charge at my local one any more.

4. Which is in fact a gold milk bottle top. The shopkeepers in Elftown save the all up and Mrs.Grandelf settles up in proper money at the end of the week. But please don't tell elfy. He thinks they are Amelfican Elfpress shopping vouchers.

5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I'm with you elfie. I either leave the purchase at the till or pay in cash if they charge for plastic. The bank will charge them just as much for processing the cash.

6. I think you will find it is a lot less.

7. Not as much as for processing credit card payments.
    And those costs are harder for a small shop to bear than a chain store supermarket.

8. What CQ says. My mum has a small business and some people want to pay by credit card - she charges 50% of what the bank charges her. Most people pay her in cash though (which I always find odd in this day and age!)

9. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

In many shops in london they charge you a £1 to use a card.debit orcredit..amd most wont accept amercian express.
    it seems the banks charge them over 35p for each card payment recieved and then charge them again later......so it really pays to use cash.A long while agao they used to charge me 60p for every cheques paid to me bya customer...and thats going back a few years/
    Even to draw out of a cash machine in a shop will set you back 1.25-1.50 a time

10. blazer

blazer Star commenter

No it won't!

11. He means a dodgy cash machine in a shop, not a proper high steet bank machine.

12. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

or even one in a wall which is not hosted by a bank lol

13. If you withdraw cash with a credit card, of course you are normally charged for it. It can even be as much as 5% if you are not careful.
    Small businesses do have problems with the charges made - which is why I have every sympathy with them for also making charges to the customer.
    If you pay cash, they can bring it to the bank and it goes straight into their account. Credit card payments do not and they also get charged for the "service".

14. Our local Costcutter's cash machine charges £1.80 per withdrawal. Needless to say.....

15. Therein lies the problem. Go to a cash point run by a bank. The charges aren't exclusive to london

16. No. Paying cash is free if you have a business account with most banks. Card charges are huge and on low margin products can take any profit out of the transaction.

17. They charge at least double compared to other card providers. It pays for all the cashback offers they do!

18. blazer

blazer Star commenter

And I mean no it won't because I refuse to use a machine that has a charge!

19. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

a man after my own heart!

I was trying to help the local shops by buying my stuff there, but refuse to be taken for a ride and charged extra on top of their higher prices (yep I know they don't have the buying power of the supermarket).

20. You don't know they were trying to rip you off. Charging for CC transactions could be a way of trying to keep prices down rather than adding hidden cost for all customers.