1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

25min literacy lesson for a year 4 class

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by kellyw_1985, Jun 21, 2008.

1. I have got my umpteen interview on tuesday, but am pleased that I get the opportunity to teach as I often get nervous in interviews.
    I have to teach a 25 minute literacy lesson on poetry to year 4 class. Just wondering if any one had any ideas or tips, as I dont want to mess this up.
    I was looking at the poem 'Dear My Examiner' by Gareth Owen, getting the children to read it through, discuss and then write a reply imagining they are the examiner. Or should I stick with something simplier like breaking the poem up into segments and getting them to put it in the order they think is best and giving it a title?
    It's hard to think of a suitable activity that I can do in 25 mins, not that long!
    Any ideas or advice would be appreciated, really want this job!
    Thanks!

2. I have got my umpteen interview on tuesday, but am pleased that I get the opportunity to teach as I often get nervous in interviews.
    I have to teach a 25 minute literacy lesson on poetry to year 4 class. Just wondering if any one had any ideas or tips, as I dont want to mess this up.
    I was looking at the poem 'Dear My Examiner' by Gareth Owen, getting the children to read it through, discuss and then write a reply imagining they are the examiner. Or should I stick with something simplier like breaking the poem up into segments and getting them to put it in the order they think is best and giving it a title?
    It's hard to think of a suitable activity that I can do in 25 mins, not that long!
    Any ideas or advice would be appreciated, really want this job!
    Thanks!

3. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

You need to do something very active, using lots of talk partner work.

What exactly is the brief?

4. I'd go for something simpler than asking them to write a poem reply to another poem.
    I teach Year 3 and know that they really struggle with poetry and the idea that they don't have to write in full sentences!
    One lesson I've done on poetry began with singing. I picked a song that the children knew but also had the lyrics on the IWB. I made them think about where they breathed and drew their attention to this being where the line breaks were. This focused them on the line length. Once we had sung the song twice I then placed a picture on the IWB and got them to talk to their partner for 2 minutes and record all their ideas about the picture on whiteboards. I then got children who had ideas to put a hand on their head/touch their nose. (My HT is very keen on AfL strategies to avoid hands up). I put these ideas onto the whiteboard as they were being suggested. I selected an idea and modelled how to put it into poetry - focusing on line length, the idea that the lines do not have to be full sentences etc. I then got the children to have a go with some of their ideas, still working in partners so they create a shared poem. We took this on to writing poems later on but you might just want to combine some of their ideas to write a class poem?
    I hope some of that will be of use!

5. gill42

gill42 New commenter

Ive just been observed teaching poetry to a year 3 class and got very good comments.

We sang a nursery rhyme - sing a song of sixpence and then we changed the lyrics eg sing a song of sausages.

Then i gave the children ten minutes to come up with lyrics for Hey Diddle Diddle, then we put them together to create a class poem, the Head thought it was great fun, might be a bit babyish for year 4 though, depends what they are like.

6. Thank you for replies!! been working on it all weekend, and have come up with the idea of focusing on alliteration.
    Going to start the lesson by looking at tongue twisters which use alliteration and the effect it has. Then going to look at the poem, 'On the Ning, Nang, Nong' by Spike Milligan and look at how alliteration is used in that.
    Then as a individual/class activity, thinking of giving each child a letter of the alphabet and getting them to come up with a 4 word alliterative sentence about an animal e.g. Dreaming dogs dancing dangerously. Then at end of lesson, listen to each sentence in alphabetical order, as a poem.
    Hoping this will be a fun, enjoyable lesson that will keep them interested. Got all details on a powerpoint so going to use that as a prompt for myself as well as the children.
    Thanks again for all advice and tips though, really is appreciated. Hope the hard work is going to pay off!

7. I've got a lesson plan based on The Author of this Poem - looking at similes. The kids can act some out and use talk partners to come up with alternatives. Leave your email and i'll email it to you if you like.

8. Hi,
    Don't suppose you still have this lesson plan? My email address is valerie.higgins@students.plymouth.ac.uk if you do.