1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

25 years of National Lottery

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Ivartheboneless, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

The lottery is a bit like Christmas, some people get lots of enjoyment from taking part in it, others get their enjoyment from the sense of superiority in not taking part in it.

2. silkywave

silkywave Lead commenter

Of course I want to win some ! But I think the balance of money should go to charity not to Camelot. Profits are one thing but this is money for old rope!
    (How do I come out with all these old phrases! )

3. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

It does Camelot get 1% of sales
    (The corner shop gets 5 times that.)

4. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

Aye. A teeny tiny corner shop in town, whose usual sales were over-priced bread, milk and baked beans, were one of the first to get a terminal. The owner bought hmself a Lotus within 3 months!

5. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Half a million pounds of ticket sales in 3monrhs. Awesome.

6. silkywave

silkywave Lead commenter

Over £70 million in 2016/2017 ? That seems a lot that could make a difference to a charity for the homeless for example.

7. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

He may have taken out a loan - I didn't ask.

8. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

JUST AS IF any money got from anywhere is ever just used to provide VAT-free necessities for those in need for whatever reason. It never happened, it does not happen, it never will. People have to organise this stuff and they don't organise it for nothing because it's a ballache. The transportation, the contracts, the premises, the legal stuff - it all costs. Let us cleanse ourselves of the innocent notion that giving, unless you're handing over a new sleeping bag and a bottle of scotch, sorry - home-made wholesome pie - to the homeless alcoholic in your neighbourhood, that you paid for yourself, does not incur costs. If you don't want monkeys Im afraid you cant offer peanuts as remuneration.
    The lottery sucks in millions. Where the hell else do you think this much dosh would come from otherwise?

9. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

The charity I work for has benefitted from the lottery 3 times now (almost unheard of!) enabling it to provide 9 years of counselling for people with drug & alcohol problems - with around 20-30 counsellors providing services for clients having 12 weeks of counselling, that's... let's see... between 80 and 120 clients a year for 9 years is between and 720 and 1080 clients over the 9 years (and probably more because not all clients need the whole 12 weeks), in addition to which the service provides D/A training and placements to final year counselling students... The lottery money funds the premises, staff and equipment to run the counselling service - and in the great scheme of things isn't a lot, but it enables a lot of people to get help.

So yes, I would say the lottery benefits more than just the organisers.

anotherauntsally likes this.
  10. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

That’s good to hear, Monica. I rarely buy tickets now but once, many years ago, won £600 (five numbers - the ones I’d picked must have even popular).

monicabilongame likes this.
  11. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Well that is not true, because charities have employees and trustees, office overheads etc, so "all" you give does not go into causes. That was the problem with that awful woman who dressed like an explosion in a chintz factory whose name and charity escapes me. (Something to do with children I think, big scandal a couple of years ago).

12. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

Lottery is just something I do when the jackpot goes over 100m. I do not think about the odds ( mathematics teacher) I just have interesting conversations with colleagues and friends on how we would spent the money. A wee 5 minute fantasy.
    Many athletes get lottery funding hence the increase in medals for british olympic teams.
    However, if the price ever goes up I will never do it again.

13. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

The "them" in "...why didn't you give it to them direct?" are the charities not the beneficiaries of the charities so what I posted is not untrue. You could give direct to the beneficiaries of charities and by-pass the charity altogether if you want to. But I wouldn't advocate it.

The comparison is with donating to charities by buying a Lottery ticket.

But your point seems rather irrelevant to the thread.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019