1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

25 years of National Lottery

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Ivartheboneless, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Whist I agree with most of your post, what would prevent someone bright enough to write a bot which played the lottery online, entering every combination of numbers?

Stiltskin likes this.
  2. shakes16

shakes16 New commenter

OK then. So the cards are securely manufactured. But is it not an incredible odds that a big scratch card winner had a relative who worked for Camelot? WHat are the odds on that?

3. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Transaction times might be limiting

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

No, it's not odd. Camelot do isolate batches of tickets that have big prizes on them and then ban them from being delivered to shops within a commuting distance of any of their employees.

I have had numerous PB wins over the years, including when their HQ was under 10 miles from where I lived, and at a time when mr.jubilee was visiting their site fairly often to sell telephone services.

5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I'll leave the Bayesian statisticians here to calculate odds for you, but Camelot has some 700+ employees and has been going for 25 years, and each Camelot employee on average has X (pick your own number) relatives. So how many scratchcard draws in that time? Why do you think your scenario is so unlikely that it seems to suggest fraud to you? (So unlikely relative to odds of someone not related to a Camelot employee winning a "big" prize that is. Which is very unlikely to start with.)

And the odds depend rather a lot on what you mean by "relative" and how "big" is "big"? Did you have a specific case in mind?

6. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Thta was menat to read that Camelot do NOT isolate batches with winning tickets!

7. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

This has descended into fairyland, without the magic, just the nonsense. You might as well drop your pound coins down a grid.

8. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Yes but that's guaranteed disappointment!

9. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Whereas buying a ticket is 44,999,999 chances in 45 million of disappointment!

10. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

These are the chances of winning something according to the National Lottery.

6 numbers 1 in 45,057,474
    5 numbers + Bonus Ball 1 in 7,509,579
    5 numbers 1 in 144,415
    4 numbers 1 in 2,180
    3 numbers 1 in 97
    2 numbers 1 in 10.3

The overall odds of winning any Lotto prize are 1 in 9.3.

Stiltskin likes this.
  11. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

I didn't say that. The quote is from @shakes16

12. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

There's usually a standard statement within the Ts&Cs on the back of the ticket. Mr Camelot cannot buy a ticket but his Great Aunty Maude (as long as she isn't living/maintained by Mr Camelot) can.

13. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Probably a lot less than you think. Taking some ball park figures:
    750 employees in Camelot. Each one probably has a mother and father. with an average of 2.3 siblings and 5 cousins. Perhaps half are married so double the connections. So probably around 10,000 people who could be considered as a relation of a camelot employee. Maybe not all play, so lets say a half. Odds of winning the jackpot range from 1 in a million to one in five million. Which means for any card game there may be up to a 1 in 200 chance of it occurring. There's been around 1200 scratchcard games since launch, so you'd expect there to be a few people who won jackpots that are relatives to employees.

Rott Weiler likes this.
  14. Aquamarina1234

I rest my case!

15. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Do you know the problem that goes something like this?

There are three cards A, B, C. Two are 10's and 1 is a Queen. To win you have to pick the Queen.
    Say you pick card A. I then turn over card B to show it is a 10 and ask if you want to swap your card for C. Should you?

16. Aquamarina1234

I pretend I've just spotted someone I must say Hello to and move quickly over to the other side of the room.

17. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

The famous Monty Hall problem

Stiltskin likes this.
  18. silkywave

silkywave Lead commenter

We bought tickets weekly, same numbers. Hoping that by the law of averages sooner or later we might win something. When they introduced more numbers we gave up in disgust.

It is a symptom of this rotting society that money given for good causes ends up lining the greasy pockets of fat cat profiteers.

Ivartheboneless likes this.
  19. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

If you wanted to give money to good causes why didn't you give it to them direct? Then they get all of it. If charitable giving was your motive you wouldn't do it by buying Lottery tickets.

People buy Lottery tickets hoping to win money. To line their own greasy pockets with.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  20. Aquamarina1234

Win win. They win anyway, you might win. Blimey you'll never be an entrepreneur!