1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

25 years of National Lottery

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Ivartheboneless, Nov 19, 2019.

1. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

The lottery is probably mainly patronised by those with the mosy precarious financial situations.

In Haiti the desparately poor population are in thrall to their national lottery. One fifth of the country's GDP is spent on it. It's the only hope that most of them have of emerging from their atrocious living conditions.

2. shakes16

shakes16 New commenter

What do you mean there is no guaranteed winning if you have all the numbers?

You don't know. You are just guessing. This was 18 or 20 years ago. How do you know the scratch cards were or weren't perforated then? How do you know he wasn't just given a scratch card which was not bought at the shop and ripped off the roll of perforated ones? This is what they would have done/ Just got the winning scratch card and given it to him. Then he just goes in the shop and makes his claim.

Some people have never played the lottery and have criticised it because we don't like people making millions of pounds each week for doing absolutely nout.

I believe the winner of the scratch card in my town 18 years ago did it by fraud. That has been my opinion for 15 or so years. It is too coincidental for such a large amount of money where there is only one scratch card in the whole country or one of only a few anyway.

Haiti is not the UK. I am happy to see Haitians and other poor countries win their lotto

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  3. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Someone in the UK won the £105m jackpot tonight!

It wasn’t me:(

4. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Nor I. Sob.

Jesmond12 likes this.
  5. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

We obviously don't know any Camelot employees.

6. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

The odds of winning a prize in the national lottery is slightly over 1 in 9. This will be the same no matter how many lotteries you enter as each one is a separate event and had no memory of what happened before.

7. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

Each draw picks six numbers from 1-59. There is a finite number of permutations so if you bought every single permutation you would win. There is no guarantee on how much you would win though.

I agree about the explanation about the scratch cards (there's a few other security measures as well).

8. shakes16

shakes16 New commenter

Jesmond. Now you are on your head teacher's pension, why don't you try and make a million pound business instead of or at the same time as playing the lottery. Then you can increase your chance of winning a million or making a million?

9. shakes16

shakes16 New commenter

[QUOTE="Stiltskin, post: 12968605, member: 425544

I agree about the explanation about the scratch cards (there's a few other security measures as well).[/QUOTE] How much does a jackpot win then?

Are you a digital card security expert then? It does not matter anyway how secure the card is. If someone in the know. knows which card is the jackpot before it is perforated to another card, they could theoretically take it and give it to their friend or relative with a different name.

10. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

The main Lotto draw involves the purchaser to select a series of numbers or to get the machine to make a random slection. There is no guaranteed winning ticket as there is with premium Bonds (Where ERNIE selects two of the existing Bonds each month to win £1 million each).
    With the Lotto the machine does not select a ticket(or several with the same numbers) and declare that ticket as the winner of the jackpot. It selects numbers randomly from the 59 in the drum and it is oftent he case that no-one bought a ticket with those 6 main numbers .
    I was commenting on the scenario of buying huge numbers of tickets using various combinations of teh 59 numbers. You might still not select the combination that matches what the drum releases in the draw. Even if you do, half of the proceeds that you and everyone else bought would be allocated for prizes (the maximum one down to the multiple lower value ones). You could never get back what you invested even if you purchased all possibe combinations and no-one else had bought any tickets.

As for your opinion on the scratchcard winner in your town having been given the winning card by an employee of Camelot, I find it a ludicrous suggestion. The winning ticket is printed onto a continuous roll of card, covered with the surface that can be scratched off, is later perforated and then cut into rolls small enough to fit in the dispensers in shops. No worker on the production line or elsewhere in the firm would know at what point in the printing process that the computer had included any of the winning cards.

Aquamarina1234 likes this.
  11. shakes16

shakes16 New commenter

Well I find it a mighty coincidence then that Camelot, which employs say a few hundred employees had a relative of one of the workers win a top prize.

When I said that I would only buy all the lottery tickets with a bank loan to guarantee I won, I said it when the lottery paid out millions for the jackpot depending on the number of weeks it had rolled over. Some jackpot winner have won around £40million I think in the past. That's when I said it. Now though, you are right as if you win the jackpot, there is a maximum you can ever win no matter how many roll overs there are.

12. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Even if you got all the numbers AND it was a mega-rollover draw, you would still lose money, rather than win it, if you had bought all the possible combinations.

Your take on it is like those of punters who win a pound on a £1 scratchcard and claim to have won something. Or those who 'win' £2 on a £5 scratchcard.

13. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Buy Premium Bonds every 12 weeks instead, have abetter chance of winning and still have your original stake to reclaim whenever you like. Even if you don't win anything , all you have lost is the pathetically low interest rates available in a savings account at the moment.

14. shakes16

shakes16 New commenter

Yes you are correct NOW. But a long time ago, the lottery had 49 numbers and the chance of winning the jackpot was 14million to 1. So I said, (and I was serious), if I went to the bank and borrowed £14m pounds for the day or the week, I could buy all the tickets on a roll over when the jackpot was about £25m-£40m so I would win around £11m-£36m minus the interest for the day or week on £14m. BUt I don't think the bank manager would have taken me too seriously as they would be worried that another person would also win the jackpot as me thus halving the jackpot and so I would lose. That was the only risk though, someone else getting the jackpot too.

15. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Wrong again! The lottery does not operate in a finite number of tickets being available for purchase. You, as a mega-buyer, would not be able to buy all the tickets. There are no limits on how many tickets can be biught, only time limits on when they are in sale.
    It would be impossible to purchase tickets for all permutations in the time available for a particular draw. Even if it were possible, with sophisticated IT, you'd still not make a profit as winnings below the jackpot would be shared with so many others.

16. shakes16

shakes16 New commenter

Wrong! Winnings NOW are shared with so many others. Winnings THEN, were guaranteed jackpots. Just google big lottery winners in the past quite a number of years ago and you will see some mega jackpot winners. The rest of what you said is true though (and which I had also thought of too at the time that there wont be enough time to buy all the tickets).

It would be interesting to have a BUTTON though in shops for any billionaire who want to just BUY ALL the tickets in one click of a button and the ticket comes out saying "you have all the numbers so you are guaranteed a win" Like you say though it is not worth doing now though.

17. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

How much does a jackpot win then?

Are you a digital card security expert then? It does not matter anyway how secure the card is. If someone in the know. knows which card is the jackpot before it is perforated to another card, they could theoretically take it and give it to their friend or relative with a different name.[/QUOTE]

I know a little more than the average person about security measures. There isn't (shouldn't) be a way for anyone to know what the winning card is and where it is. It's all done with computers and machines. Basically X numbers of cards are printed and the computer allocates X% of prizes to certain numbers.

18. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

No matter how the jackpots are allocated the amounts ring-fenced for having fewer winning numbers are, in total, a substantial part of the prize allocation.
    You simply cannot come out with more money than you invested if you were able to purchase all possible number permutations.

19. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

Not necessarily. It is very unlikely you'd get your money back though. If there were a rollover jackpot of £100million say, then it would cost you £90million to buy every permutation. If your ticket was the only jackpot winner then you'd gain slightly over £10million (because you'd also win 6 of the 5+1 prizes, 354(?) of the 5 ball prizes etc even with other winners you'd own the lions share.). There is still that risk that someone else would win as well though. So, no guarantee but possible. You'd lose a lot if 1 2 3 4 5 6 came up though.

*Edit Jackpot figures don't include prize pot for smaller prizes.

20. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

What!!! You seem to think that all the cards are individual and are then joined together! That is not perforation. Cards are printed into large sheets of card. They are then cut into long strips and the strips are punched to create the perforations that allow them to be easily separated at the point of sale. No worker is going to be able to locate any of the winning tickets from that process. The winning codes and graphics are covered with the silver scratchable substance. All the cards look identical