1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

25 years of National Lottery

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Ivartheboneless, Nov 19, 2019.

1. shakes16

shakes16 New commenter

I don't remember that symbol for combinations when I did A level maths in the 80s. I remember doing combinations and permutations but I can't remember the maths for them now. I know you have to times all the numbers down to 1 though and that is the exclamation mark, but why it is like that or what it actually means, I can't remember now.

2. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I have just bought my ticket for the Euromillions lottery tonight. £106m jackpot.... I can but dream:rolleyes:

Stiltskin likes this.
  3. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

There's a difference of degree between coaxing and compelling. I'm guessing your subject isn't English.

Jesmond, enjoy your three hours of dreaming!

Jesmond12 likes this.
  4. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Oh ok, I suppose I will get by on £53 million when both our tickets come up.

Jesmond12 likes this.
  5. shakes16

shakes16 New commenter

I know there is a difference by degree between coaxing and compelling and as you can see by my writing above, one of my subjects definitely IS English and I have taught English as a Second Language for many years and I have a Cambridge English CELTA. I actually did CSE English in the 80s but I came out with an O level grade C. But that was in the days when examiners marked exams without grade inflation so I suppose my C is not an A. Thanks

6. shakes16

shakes16 New commenter

Oh and logically you are inaccurate since if I say they impel you to..... and then I finish my sentence and then begin another subjective sentence of my own, unrelated to the impel sentence, I can obviously change by degree to another synonym and say is that coaxing or what? And yes, I know impel, compel and coax all have slightly different nuances. [This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

7. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

I won £500,000 by not buying £500,000 of tickets. I could have won more by not buying £10m of tickets.
    (Using MAGAs interesting maths.)

8. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I’m retired actually and there is no need to resort to personal criticism. The “like” button is there to be used and I have made comments.

I will await your apology.

ilovesooty and chelsea2 like this.
  9. Aquamarina1234

I smell a chris.

ilovesooty and catmother like this.
  10. Aquamarina1234

Oh. I meant I smell a christmas cake cooking.

11. shakes16

shakes16 New commenter

Well, I would apologise yes, but I can't see any reason to apologise when you like a person's inaccurate replies. Now had you liked my explanation of why Camelot implore people to buy tickets (yes another nuance of coax), I would have apologised immediately. ;)

12. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Certainly smell something.

ilovesooty and Jesmond12 like this.
  13. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

This is what I was liking!

14. shakes16

shakes16 New commenter

Ohhhh, I see, Yes, I apologise.

15. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Ever bet on a horse?

16. shakes16

shakes16 New commenter

my gut feeling is Camelot might be a bit corrupt. As mentioned someone in my town about 18 years ago won a lot on a scratch card. I found out his cousin, my friend's sister, worked for Camelot. So, can anyone tell me if this is just a coincidence or corruption. Because today, I checked the reviews for working for Camelot on Glassdoor and one reviewer who had worked there said people get friends to work at Camelot sometimes. Someone somewhere in Camelot must know which cards are the jackpot scratch cards I presume by the code number on the card and they know on their computer system that this card with this code number is the jackpot. I would hazard a guess that humans have instincts to win and if they know HOW to win, then some of them might risk giving a jackpot scratch card to a friend or relative. Just a small hunch but nevertheless I do know that two people were connected and one won my town.

17. Aquamarina1234

My d-i-l worked for them and none of us ever won more than a tenner.
    She found them very good employers.

18. shakes16

shakes16 New commenter

just because they are very good employers doesn't mean that the people who work there aren;t or have not been corrupt by colluding to get the jackpot scratch card. This is the only way they could fiddle it. The main lottery they couldn't fiddle. If someone in the know is corrupt, camelot wouldn't necessarily know as it would all be quiet.

19. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

You would not be bound to win if you were able to buy all those tickets. There is no guaranteed winning
    The winning code on scratchcards is not on display. It is under the section that has to be scratched off. You cannot scan a scratchcard that hasn't been scratched off and find out if it is a winner of any amount of money. All you can do is scan the barcode on the back for registering the price of the scratchcard at the till.

Scratchcards are joined together with perforations and no employee could know which rolls the jackpot ones are in, nor which parts of the country they are being sent to (or which shops will be selling them.

LondonCanary likes this.
  20. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

A better bet all round, if money is tight, are Premium Bonds. Your investment is safe for reclaiming it whenever you need it and you have the chance of winning on the same bond, month in month out. It's even better now that the minimum spend is £25 for 25 bonds, instead of £100 for 100 bonds.