1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

25 years of National Lottery

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Ivartheboneless, Nov 19, 2019.

1. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Ah but you are!

Was this not another area tackled in the outrageously brilliant '1984'? That to keep us down and not rebelling we are thrown a woefully exaggerated Lottery win dream, all while the funds feed the 'party' and no-one really knows if the winners did actually win anyhow.....

(I mean sure, the ones they advertise do but how do we know all those who win get the real amounts - you will be told your 4 numbers are only worth 20 quid this week 'as so many won',,,,who is checking that??)

2. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Odds of 1:45 million for one ticket, odds of 50:45 million for 50 tickets, not what you stated. Anyone who has GCSE maths should know this. At your odds, if you read other threads, all Mathsteach's problems could have been solved long ago! I cannot help your lack of understanding, but I'm sure there will be websites that can!

3. shakes16

shakes16 New commenter

Isn't the odds for 2 tickets 1/45000 000 + 1/44000 999? Or are the odds for two tickets 1/45m + 1/45M?
    I think it is the latter now, so the odds for 50 different tickets would be SIGMA 1/45M + 1/45........+ 1/45 50 times.? I am a bit confused how to get the odds on 50 tickets.

4. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

50 in 45 million, or 50 chances in 45 million chances. Buying loads of extra tickets increases your odds insignificantly. (But we need a mathematician or statistician to explain it in their terms).

5. gainly

gainly Star commenter

Yes provided you buy 50 different tickets your odds of winning the jackpot are slightly better than a million to one. I'm not sure why anyone would disagree. If you bought 45,057,474 different tickets you would be certain to win but would almost certainly get back much less than you had spent.

Stiltskin likes this.
  6. shakes16

shakes16 New commenter

This is what I have always said. I have said that I would only play the lottery if I was guaranteed to win on say a 3 months roll over and borrow £50m from the bank for 24 hours and pay them back the following day or week. That is the only time I would play the lottery.. a guaranteed win. But even then it still is not guaranteed that someone else would not also win with you.

7. shakes16

shakes16 New commenter

Not forced but coerced by the constant advertising, TV shows, promises of this that and everything, helping A to Z charities galore and so on.

8. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

So 45million:45 million for 45 million (different) tickets is not the same as a 1 in 1 chance (certainty) of winning?

Probability of matching all 6 numbers with 1 ticket:
    1/(59C6) = 1/(59!/(6!*53!)) = 0.0000000221938762 = 1/45057474

Probability of matching all 6 numbers with 50 unique tickets:
    50/(59C6) = 50/(59!/(6!*53!)) = 0.00000110969 = 1/901152 ~ 50/45057474

Probability of matching all 6 numbers with 45057474 unique tickets:
    45057474/(59C6) = 45057474/(59!/(6!*53!)) = 1 = 1/1

9. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

(noting that the order of the picked numbers doesn't matter)

10. shakes16

shakes16 New commenter

WHat is 59C6 and how do you get from 59C6 to 59!/(6!*53)?

11. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

It is a personal choice. I have played the same numbers for the last 25 years and the highest amount i have won is £113.

I know that the odds of winning the jackpot are huge but it is my money and I am happy to spend some of it in this way.

12. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Same here. I can afford to squander £2 a week.
    Shakes16, please consult a dictionary for the meaning of "coerced".

Ezzie and Jesmond12 like this.
  13. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

This is unlikely to be entirely true. The chances of buying 1,976 lottery tickets and not winning anything at all, even when you match 3 numbers are slim.

The chances of getting all six numbers are indeed slight, but they are much improved for matching fewer balls. It isn't uncommon to match two, which gives you a free ticket, thereby reducing the amount you think you won by not buying a ticket at all.

14. davidmu

davidmu Occasional commenter

That is the definition of 59C6. For example 5C2 is 5!/(2!*3!) ie 5*4*3*2*1/(2*1*3*2*1) =10

Stiltskin likes this.
  15. davidmu

davidmu Occasional commenter

An investment of £2 a week for 25 years in a growth unit trust would probably amount to c.£20000. Some funds like Fidelity Special Situations would have grown to much more.

16. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

C = Combinations

So 4C2 would be the number of unordered combinations of 2 elements from a set of 4
    see:
    http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Combination.html

17. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I played it in the early days. My cat chose the numbers and my biggest win was £70 for four numbers. I gave up when the stake and number range increased.

18. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

If we'd always done lucky dips, I would have too. But seeing as Son2 picked 6 numbers and they were instantly etched into my brain tissue, we've had to keep doing it in case those numbers come up! £2 a week compared with the terrible pain of kicking ourselves for all eternity? No-brainer!

Jesmond12 and Sundaytrekker like this.
  19. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

Working class tax again...

20. shakes16

shakes16 New commenter

OK then, they IMPEL you to buy lottery tickets and scratch cards and you feel COMPELLED to do it after seeing their TV shows, F1 style champagne drinking winners stories in newspapers and the ubiquitous picturesque scratch cards available at all newsagents and supermarket cigarette counters. Is that coaxing people to buy or what?