1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

25 years of National Lottery

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Ivartheboneless, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

So it is. How much have the fat cat owners Camelot made out of it? It is too expensive at two quid, and the odds are pathetic. You have more chance of being run over by a bus. I'm sure there are causes that have benefitted from it, but I bet a lot of them are "elitist". No I can't be bothered to look them up.

Jesmond12, Aquamarina1234 and TCSC47 like this.
  2. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Good morning, Ivar, you little ray of sunshine!

Two quid fifty! Don't choke on yer porridge.

3. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

I find the lottery useful with my students to show them a practical application of maths to calculate the probability of winning the jackpot. As I've never bought a ticket my chances of winning are even more remote.

mothorchid likes this.
  4. shakes16

shakes16 New commenter

While I don't play the lottery myself out of personal choice, someone in my town many years ago won a lot of money on a National Lottery scratch card (can't remember the amount but around £75k-£250k I think). I found out a few years or so later from a friend that his cousin, who was also this friend of mine's sister, worked for Camelot. Needless to say, I don't play the Lottery scratch cards. Not because of this, out of choice again, but i just can't help thinking.

5. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Thinking what?

6. shakes16

shakes16 New commenter

I wouldn't like to say But why do people want to give their £2.50 to multi millionaire directors when the odds of winning is like putting your hand into a tombola of 14,000,000 tickets and picking out the one ticket?

Ivartheboneless likes this.
  7. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

That was the previous odds. There are now 59 numbers so the odds on winning the jackpot are now one in 45,000,000.

8. shakes16

shakes16 New commenter

It's 45M to 1? JEEPERS. OMG. This just shows how long it is since I last played the lottery and I have played the lottery, but I have only played it a handful of times just for fun ever since it started. That company are praying on the young and old alike. I wish I could own a company that produces a piece of paper which is not going to win and get 20 million people each week to pay £2.50 for it. The Lottery is not for charity really. That is just another marketing ploy. It is essentially for rich people to make even more money so they can buy homes in the rich SE.

9. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Buy 50 tickets and the odds are less than one in a million though!

10. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

The odds are simple. Half the money, so we are told, comes back as prize money. So the more you play it the closer you will move to losing half your money spent on it.

11. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

My mum taught me my most important lessons in life. I have always remembered her telling me you never see a poor bookie.

12. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

No-one is forced to play the lottery.

Jesmond12 likes this.
  13. shakes16

shakes16 New commenter

I have just looked at the salaries of people who work at Camelot on Glassdoor. THey pay some incredible salries for some basic sales jobs. from around £30k-£60k. A senior marketing manager posted £700k if it is true that is.

TCSC47 likes this.
  14. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

When you buy a lottery ticket what you are buying is a short term feelgood feeling. You loose that when you check your ticket and find you haven't won anything. So the way to get max value for money from your lottery ticket is to put it in your wallet and possibly walk around for a couple of weeks with a million quid in it!!

sbkrobson likes this.
  15. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

My joking aside, it is obscene and very wrong.

16. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Somebody with the right maths nouse correct this poor sad misguided soul's mistake!

17. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

I have won £3500 on the Lottery - that's based on 19 years of not buying 2 tickets a week at £1 each; plus seven years of not buying two tickets at £2 each.

Bedlam3 likes this.
  18. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

50 different tickets.

19. shakes16

shakes16 New commenter

@Stiltskin Please prove your assertion by writing the maths up here

20. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I've never bought a ticket - never will either.