1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

24,000 pounds per annum not much?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by ohlalahorse, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Hi,

I'm new to the teaching world ;)I have QTS.

I may get a post in a Greater London school. I guess I'll start on point M1, so I'll have 24,000 pounds per year. My questions are:

1. Is 24,000 pounds per year not much money? I've heard teachers aren't paid well, but is 2,000 pounds per month not much to survive in Greater London?

2. So I get 24,000 per annum, but how much will Inland Revenue take from that?

Please, solve my doubts!

Thanks in advance!

2. Hi,

I'm new to the teaching world ;)I have QTS.

I may get a post in a Greater London school. I guess I'll start on point M1, so I'll have 24,000 pounds per year. My questions are:

1. Is 24,000 pounds per year not much money? I've heard teachers aren't paid well, but is 2,000 pounds per month not much to survive in Greater London?

2. So I get 24,000 per annum, but how much will Inland Revenue take from that?

Please, solve my doubts!

Thanks in advance!

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

It's hard to say without knowing your circumstances - we don't know whether you're entitled to various tax allowances, for example.

You know you'll take home somewhat less than £2000 per month, so it depends on where you live, with whom, the quality of your home, etc (shared rent? Still live with parents?). Then there's other outgoings - fuel, water,travel - how far from school might you live, etc. Food, drink (what kind of social life do you expect to have?).

You'll probably be better off working outside London, but it depends on your lifestyle.

4. Middlemarch

Post 2: you aren't hired by the 'council', you're employed by the school, which has its own budget. I don't know of a secondary school head who would ever employ a teacher based on cost rather than quality these days.

5. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

6. The pay calculator is excellent, almost works it out to the penny.

I live in greater london, but work in surrey, so i get fringe. I lose approx 30% of monthly wages (tax/ni/student loan). This works out at 1300/month on M2.

My rent is 475/month and then there is petrol, living costs (council tax, food, gas, electricity, broadband, phone, tv licence, insurance (car and house) and social life on top of that.

Teacher's salaries really don't stretch very far!

On the up side, it does go up in september!

7. £2000 a month looks great on paper but expect to lose a fair bit each month. It does, of course depend on what you have to pay out (student loan, pension etc). Just to give you some idea my basic is £2500 a month and after tax, NI, student loan and pension I take home £1660. That's £900 stolen away each month! Boo!

8. £24,000 is more than enough to live on! I cope comfortably on ten grand less than that, you just have to live to your means.

9. oh dear!

I just used the pay calculator and I think I'm going to cry!

What a robbery! 2,000 per month but after the tax is just 1,460 punds! what a robbery!!! It's mad!

I thought I'd have 1,800 after tax deductions, and I was happy beacuse I could afford a flat just for me! I hate house/flat sharing, how can I live with someone you don't know? I can't!

This sucks!

Now questions is: Do I scale each year pay points? I start the first year on M1, will I be on M2 the 2nd year and so on?

10. Now questions is: Do I scale each year pay points? I start the first year on M1, will I be on M2 the 2nd year and so on

correct, you go up the scale each september

11. thank god! there's hope, so in 6 years I'll earn about 30,000 pounds per year, and after tax deductions I take about 1,800 pounds per month, I can be happy with that!

The start is gonna be hard!

12. Whilst I am sympathetic in relation to the pay issue early on in someone's career I am amazed no one posting up to this point has asked the 2 questions buzzing around my head:

1) Surely you knew teaching was not well paid and if not why did you not check it out before trying to qualify?
    2) Did you not really know that the tax rate is @25% and National Insurance @9% - except for the allowances? If not - why not!!

13. Actually Phil, the tax rate has been 22% for some years... falling to 20% in April, I believe.

14. I did say @25% as an approximation! Nevertheless 20% of about 80% of your income and 9% NI still comes to more than £600 a month deductions and someone entering the profession should do their homework on that - I did!

15. I apologise - I'm not familiar with the use of @ as approximation.

16. No probs.

17. No it's not a lot when you compare other jobs for post grads. Most of us have to service debts, rent and kids!

So enjoy and if you can save!

18. I started on £12,000 pa gross in 1994.

There are only 3 possibilities to survive financially:

1. partner who has a real job

2. stay with parents/ friends

3. get out of London and get somewhere cheap (easier said than done)

19. Middlemarch

Afford a flat on your own in London, on an NQT's salary? Behave yourself!

20. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

Madphil, that was just what I was going to say! How can an intelligent (?) person NOT know about tax?!!!
    Your 25% was actually quite efficient, because you should also factor in NI payments which are another tax. How can tax be 'dropping' to 20%, the govt pretend to drop it but don't increase allowances and increase NI so you will be worse off in April! Plus if OP has a student loan, that will be paid, too. BUT, as several people said, many people live off less than that and have to support a family and possibly a partner. OP is naive, seems rather feckless, never mind, I'm sure it will keep you in alcopops!