1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

£22m wasted on bursaries to trainees who end up not teaching

Discussion in 'Education news' started by monicabilongame, Jan 11, 2019.

1. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

It rather makes me wish that, instead of funding my own degree for 6 years, and then funding my own PGCE (ok, the course was paid for but I worked nights to fund the travel, books etc.), I had done my degree and then got a big fat bursary to pay me so I could have learned the easy way that I didn't want to teach.

https://inews.co.uk/news/education/...8B2aDUWDX__ZdJWH75NYqVhUMntXJ4zuFv1Csjq9OHjoA

Nearly £22m of taxpayers’ cash has been “wasted” in a single year on generous bursaries for teacher trainees who have never set foot in the classroom, according to Labour. An analysis of government figures reveals that graduates handed the maximum £25,000 in golden hellos were twice as likely to not enter the profession than those who received no cash incentive. The study also shows a fifth of top graduates handed the bursary to lure them into the profession did not continue into a career in teaching.

stonerose, Shedman and agathamorse like this.
  2. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

Yes, yes we know all this the select committee have already pointed this out to the DFE and they have admitted they cannot control recruitment and retention.
    Angela Rayner needs to say what she is going to do to improve the lot of teachers. I have not anything from Labour that is going to make much of a difference. Still trying to get an election.

stonerose likes this.
  3. border_walker

border_walker Established commenter

Don't understand why the bursary wasn't conditional 0on a number of years in state education.

4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

That my friends - is what you call a scandalous waste of money.

Very highly qualified people (academically) - often make very poor teachers - we all know that.

Except for this government of course - who are always and always will be completely clueless and disinterested in state education

5. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Because then many of the wouldn't enter teacher training and the Government wouldn't be able to say there's not a teacher crisis as we're currently training X many more teachers than are leaving/There are now X many trained teachers compare with Y years ago.

6. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

I agree!

Sorry - posted this before I saw the above.

Still think it ought to be linked or scrapped totally.

agathamorse and cazzmusic1 like this.
  7. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

The other side of this coin is the bursaries that did bring people into teaching who otherwise would have gone elsewhere. However the condition that (at least part) of the bursary would be paid only of they did go into teaching would have been wise. It would be interesting to see the advice and reasoning for not imposing the condition.

Kartoshka, stonerose, Shedman and 2 others like this.
  8. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I've worked with colleagues who are financially bound to teaching, I think "teach first" tied them in somehow - 2 years teaching or repay your training costs, or something like that. Also, in one school, half the staff had to remain working there as a condition of residency.

If you want coleagues who can't stop crying, who have calanders on the wall counting down the hours ( or the minutes) they have to work until freedom, who are off with stress more often than they are in, who get into corners and discuss methods of suicide, then yes sure, tie the bursary in to a minimum number of years in state schools.

We have just lost an NQT who refused to work more than 12 hours a day. This is the sort of light weight attracted by such bursaries. Obviously he should have been shackled to the white board.

9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

In the last 5 years....

I've come across ONE decent PGCE student.

10. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I have been shocked at the standard of NQTs and PGCE students too, but I've also seen who is passing them, so shouldn't be surprised. I had a HOD who passed a PGCE student who had an attendance of less than 50%, and only observed, never taught.

but she was young and pretty and had battable eyelashes, so that compensated.

11. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

I have stopped having ITTs from a local university because they were of such poor quality. That said 1 was fabulous.

I worry for the future of teaching.

Does the government know what's going on?

stonerose and agathamorse like this.
  12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We haven't had any PGCE students for a couple of years.

In the two years before that we had 3.

One went back to his old job without ever teaching again (shame as he had some potential)

One got a job and was removed after a term - hasn't taught since.

The other - has still not got a permanent job.

agathamorse likes this.
  13. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Of the last 12 PGCE students I've crossed paths with, I'd consider six of them as great. Four were okay, about average compared with other teachers and two were unlikely to survive as teachers. (I'm afraid I'm going to be selfish and not tell you which university they came from)

mymintpark and agathamorse like this.
  14. CWadd

CWadd Senior commenter

We had a batch of PGCE trainees at my last place this time last year. They seemed more interested in taking over the Staff Room by leaving their laptops and books all over the surfaces where other people needed to sit to work, and going for lunch then actually teaching or showing any interest in teaching. A fact underlined by one who genuinely didn't understand why she had to observe people teach, as she felt that was a "waste of time."

15. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Definitely don't want them. Imagine what would happen if everyone in education started having lunch in their lunch breaks, and observing lessons didn't happen as they thought it was a waste of time! ;)

16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I will NEVER forget the two students we had who were part of that - "teach for a year and then apply to be a HT" initiative (can't remember what it was really called - didn't last very long).

They were so arrogant - one of them wore so much make up she looked like a panda. Neither of them had the slightest interest in us or teaching. They just sat in our staff room and drank all our milk.

Towards the end we "invited" them to a department meeting (they clearly didn't want to come) - I heard them talking about and one of them said "I suppose we should go just to look like we care" (I'm not making that up).

We were so relieved when they went - neither of them had any idea how to teach - I guess they didn't think they needed to. God help any school who now has either of them on their SLT.

17. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

The question is did they do it just for the bursary, or did they have their eyes opened to the reality of teaching?

18. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

I wonder which Ministerial clown dreamt up that particular initiative?

agathamorse likes this.
  19. peter12171

peter12171 Lead commenter

And at the other end of the scale there are those of us who want to teach, have completed the PGCE and who are (for various reasons) not getting the support we need as NQTs. I am one who has done that - I know that I have things to work on, I'm not claiming that I don't - but my path since gaining QTS has not been supported properly.

In some ways the PGCE actually meant I was further back in the classroom after it than I was before as a cover supervisor. My behaviour management certainly declined as a result of the training I received.

agathamorse likes this.
  20. gainly

gainly Established commenter

Yes of course they do. Everything is going to plan.

1503.jpg

Extrabreaktime, MarieAnn18 and Jamvic like this.