1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

22 weeks pregnant and realising I know nothing about babies. Good books?!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by dilly_84, Mar 3, 2011.

1. dilly_84

dilly_84 New commenter

Hiya you lovely lot.
    Title says it all really. I'm starting to have a proper panic/mini meltdown about how little I know about babies. I am the first in my close circle of friends to have got sprogged up and I feel worried asking anyone else really stupid questions like "how to you change a nappy, clean bums, hold the bean (!) ) etc. Even things like, how many layers/what does a baby need to wear in July (when the monkey is due)?! Seriously, not a clue...
    Also as I know <strike>little </strike>nothing about caring for a baby, is there another book(s) that will help me understand it's quirks and help with communication and development.
    Many thanks for your help (and if you're dialing social services as you read this...I understand [​IMG] )
    Dilly x

2. dilly_84

dilly_84 New commenter

Hiya you lovely lot.
    Title says it all really. I'm starting to have a proper panic/mini meltdown about how little I know about babies. I am the first in my close circle of friends to have got sprogged up and I feel worried asking anyone else really stupid questions like "how to you change a nappy, clean bums, hold the bean (!) ) etc. Even things like, how many layers/what does a baby need to wear in July (when the monkey is due)?! Seriously, not a clue...
    Also as I know <strike>little </strike>nothing about caring for a baby, is there another book(s) that will help me understand it's quirks and help with communication and development.
    Many thanks for your help (and if you're dialing social services as you read this...I understand [​IMG] )
    Dilly x

3. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I was the first in my group of friends to have a baby, but don't worry, most of it is just instinct!
    Ask a midwife at the hospital to show you how to change a nappy if you're unsure...believe me, you'll learn pretty quick! You'll just instinctively know how to hold your baby. I feel nervous about holding other people's newborns, but never was with my own.
    You'll soon figure out the clothes thing too. My son was born mid June, and it was pretty hot, and after one outing in the pram we realised he didn't actually need a blanket and the pram cover! We had a thermometer from Mamas & Papas i think that told you what sheets/blankets you needed at certain temperatures.
    You will learn what best suits your baby. My son is 20 months now, and we're still learning as we go [​IMG]. My 2nd is due in just over 8 weeks time.

4. haha don't worry, I was the same! I really like the book "your baby week by week" It is in bite sized chunks, jst right when you are sleep deprived and can't concentrate for more than5 seconds!

5. Well you're in the right place then. [​IMG]

6. You'll be fine. Those of us who are mums have all been there and we've all survived.
    Instead of having a meltdown just enjoy eating whatever you like, rubbing your tummy and realising that july is so far away that kind of clothes your baby will wear are not even in the shops yet.
    Acually they just wear the normal stuff and if it's hot you take of the baby grown and just leave them in their vest. You might buy a couple of summer oufits. Most of your future worries will be resolved as easily as this. Except sleep deprivation. That requires sleep.

7. reddevil

reddevil New commenter

Don't worry, when s/he arrives it'll come to you. Ask the midwives in the hospital to show you how to change a nappy, bath baby. My midwives were great, as long as you don't mind waiting until they've got a spare minute they'll show you / tell you anything!
    As far as a book recommendation goes, I'd suggest 'The best friend's guide to pregnancy'. It is American, so a couple of bits won't apply but it does point these out. It tells you all the gory bits that no-one else does but in a funny way [​IMG] I can still remember the part about what socks to have in your hospital bag!

8. I was exactly the same Dilly! And we've made it to 7 whole weeks with no major complications, clean, fed and generally happy. Sleep I can't help with though.
    Others have said and I agree that it will come to you. The one thing I really dreaded was bath times. We got a thermometer for the water and a chair thingy to put in the bath. The chair's been fab but the water was too cold and LO hated bath times. Now I check the temperature with my wrist and LO is much happier.
    Re books: we have The Baby Owners Manual and The Essential First Year. Both I've found to be good but as ever pick and choose the advice you want to follow. You will know what's best for your LO, I promise :0)

9. I really like Miriam Stoppard's "first time parents"- tells you everything you need to know without being patronising. And I like Penelope Leach "the essential first year". it will all come naturally really!

10. handrail

handrail New commenter

I enjoyed 'The Rough Guide to Pregnancy and Birth' by Kaz Cooke. It's not too serious and parts of it really made me laugh. Good week by week countdown too :eek:) x
    I knew nothing either and my LO has survived this far - he's 5 months now. You learn as you go along. Good luck!

11. Heat? [​IMG]
    or how about
    Real Lives of Nutters? (I'm sure there must be a magazine called that).
    or I'm sure 'Natalie Cassidy's Guide to Parenting' will be out soon.....[​IMG]

12. Know exactly what you mean and how you feel Dilly.Can't help you with the books, but are you going to go to the antenatal classes or book NCT classes? Think they will help you lots.
    I've decided i'm going to book NCT classes and now I don't feel as pressured as I know i'll learn lots from them. I think this is the same as the free NHS antenatal classes. But as my classes aren't until a month before i'm due, I think I may start worrying too that I know nothing during the lead up to the classes. Think I need a book too!

13. dilly_84

dilly_84 New commenter

Many thanks for all these replies! I will look into those books. A friend gave to me 'best friends guide to pregnancy' and I have to agree had me chuckling a lot, a brilliant book.
    I think my main worry is that I won't have 'the instinct' because I'm not a mumsie person in the first place. Time will tell!
    I'm also hoping at some point before my waters break that it will sink in I'm actually having a baby! I've just perused ebay and bought 9 vests and 15 items of other clothes in a bundle for &pound;12. Hopefully when that arrives on my doorstep something will click in my head that a baby is on it's way! (Although I first had to google what the difference was between a vest, babygro and sleepsuit...oh dear!)
    Weebecka, I hate to admit it, but I actually liked watching Natalie's Cassidy's programme. I've no idea why but I suppose it was just an easy watch [​IMG]
    Hiya Danni, I did look into the NCT classes but I've heard that the antenal classes at my hospital are brilliant so I decided that we will save the pounds. Although I didn't actually ask when the antenatal classes start so I will ring up and enquire, thank-you for pointing that out as I hadn't though about that, especially as my bean may be arriving early.
    Cheers ladies, you're all fab! Any other advice then please fire away...I will gratefully receive any [​IMG]
    Dilly x

14. Most of us feel like you do until about when we get through getting #1 weaned (so 6-8 months old) before instincts fully kick in Dilly. It just is overwhelming at first. The main advice would be, I think, have a laugh as often as you can and go with the flow. Think of it as being like preparing for being a contestant on 'I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here'. i.e. there are a few things you can do but they'll only help a bit. You are just going to get dumped in at the deep end. Never mind. We'll be there to laugh <strike>at</strike> with you and to try to give you a helping hand out the mud.