1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

21st century unit b4 homeostasis

Discussion in 'Science' started by HezWad, Sep 26, 2007.

1. anyone got any interestng practicals for this unit... i am so bored so i am sure the kids are!!!

2. anyone got any interestng practicals for this unit... i am so bored so i am sure the kids are!!!

3. bogstandardcomp

bogstandardcomp New commenter

I presume you are doing catalase expts!

Starter demos: Not very exciting but I get a glowing splint to light about 10 times, that usually livens things up.
    And, dilute starch sol, add enough iodine to get a darkish colour, then 'gob' it in if you'll pardon the expression! Changes colour quite quickly. Groans all round, wakes em up.

4. This site looks amazing. I work abroad, have little in the way of suitable resources but even I think I might be able to manage some of these experiments. Thank you for posting.

5. Osmosis and Diffusion experiments abound!!

I've also started enzymes today and have done jelly and pineapple (doesn't set), raw and boiled potato and liver, trypsin and Marvel.

If you are brave enough to stab yourself in the thumb blood has enzyme that breaks down hydrogen peroxide - makes a great mess!!

6. bogstandardcomp

In case it wasn't clear: liver + H2O2, for relighting the splint.

7. bogstandardcomp

And another starter for enz and temp effect: poach an egg in a big glass beaker.

8. Recently come across yeast and hydrogen peroxide - brilliant and not so messy as liver or so dodgey as human blood. If you put a drop of washing up liquid in, the bubbles stay longer and the glowing splint test is particularly satisfying. We do a nice one to show the effect of pH using buffers at 5, 6 ,7, 8 and 9. Optimum is 8. Use measuring cylinders and you get a "graph" produced in front of your eyes.

9. bogstandardcomp

I'll use your visual pH one next lesson louiset; yeh I agree yeast is very manageable.

10. Potato & hydrogen peroxide is also another good option

11. kevgeall

kevgeall New commenter

I agree, potato and H2O2 is a new favourite; varied the temperature last time and got coursework-grade results from the class.

Kev

12. WAZZAP TEACHERS

newbold obviously rules in the teaching world as my teacher ( mrs Labraca ) does this r8 fun pract. what u do is u take one student and rell them before just to play along, u give them a bottle and tell them to go and make a "urine sample in it" they go outside while the lab assistants are ready with a nice steaming bottle of **** coloured liquid therfore getting the kids interested and wanting to know what this fun subject is rather than talkin about wat happened on friday night ( which was amazin btw :p )

any way i hope u lazy techers could be bothered to read that becoz it was a good lesson it made me listen up and i interested in science again now im predidicted A*

13. For amylase action on starch...soak some filter paper in starch solution and wrap round a microscope slide. Give each student a matchstick and get them to use it to write their name on the paper in spit...add a v small drop of iodine..and like magic the letters appear.

14. bogstandardcomp