1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Soapboxer, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Soapboxer

Soapboxer Occasional commenter

What is the significance of this number?

In 2014, this is how many migrants crossed the Mediterranean and entered the EU illegally. This is just the figure representing that way in.

This is also the number of migrants entering by this path in October 2015! Think about that.

This problem is getting worse and it all starts with the reluctance of the EU to say no and turn them back.

We will very soon be unable to cope with this escalating influx!

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Of threads about immigration? Indeed.

3. Treefayre2

Treefayre2 Established commenter

Hardly Lanokia. We're suffocating under a surplus of fluff:=)

4. Soapboxer

Immigration is the key issue for our present and future. We ignore it at our peril! The governments want us to either ignore it or embrace it. I want to talk about it and raise awareness, as do others.

5. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Do you mean by as do others, UKIP?

ilovesooty likes this.
  6. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

en.russellhobbs.com/.../clean-and-clear-pro-window-vacuum-21800-56
    A window cleaner that leaves no drips and no streaks.

7. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

You don't seem to have many takers.

8. Duke of York

We have one of those who calls on our estate. He came on Saturday morning and wields a long pole that has a brush and hosepipe attached to the distant end.

I asked him to call in again today as I understand he also does gutter cleaning in a similar manner, but with a vacuum cleaner hose attached to the pole.

Noja likes this.
  9. Soapboxer

I mean anyone who values the country as a democracy (such as it is) rather than an Islamic state (no relation) because that is where we are heading. It is happening in Sweden as we speak. There are enclaves of Muslims ruling themselves because it is too dangerous for the authorities to enter those areas. It has started here too. Look at Tower Hamlets, for example. There are many no go areas for non Muslims in this country. And it is always Muslims who seem to be migrating here. Why can't we have Buddhists or Hindus instead? Can these 20000 Syrians please be Christian Syrians? No! They will all be Muslims. The EU wants to Islamize Europe completely. I am not too happy about that! Are you? Islam does not allow for Multiculturalism. Multiculturalism means Islamization.

10. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I got a lovely soap tin in a L'Occitane, L'Occitane, L'Occitane box of soaps sent to me by a friend as a gift. I use it to carry my soap in when I go on holiday. I find it better than a box because boxes go soggy when you put wet soap in them. This is the second soapy thread we've had in as many days.

Noja likes this.
  11. Duke of York

It will only be a matter of time before those soap tins get made out of plastic, as they can be produced more cheaply by injection moulding. The days when apprentices would choose career as a swager are numbered.

12. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Nah. L'Occitane is well posh- they won't go for plastic. It doesn't suit their image.

13. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

I have recently made the acquaintance of a woman and her two youngest children (the elder and the father drowned in the crossing) who are Syrian refugees. You have to consider that any large group is made up of individuals, nice or not. These people are being put up by my neighbour, who is doing it as part of her Christian duty. They are what we would call lower-middle-class, whose business had been blown up and their neighbourhood too unsafe to remain in. It is fortunate that the mother has good functional English and that the Islamic support round here is very good.
    You could not wish otherwise than a happy new life for these people. To wish otherwise would be to hope they froze to death on a Bosnian border field, got shot at home or joined the father and brother in the sea. I think stuck here on the charity of a religion you aren't part of is not dead good, but better than. In the interests of cultural education I am inviting them to our bonfire do with pre-prepared educational backdrop. Not that nutjob bomber blowing things up is likely to make them feel more secure but it's always good to learn that there are nutters everywhere and have been forever.

Scintillant, yodaami2 and InkyP like this.
  14. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

218000 ft is the altitude at which orbital plane change occurs in a satellite on its way to geostationary orbit?

Oh, it's immigrants again.

15. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

Regarding Syrian refugees; There but for the grace of God go I ( not that I'm a believer). How can we be with so much sadness. There are too many narrowminded bigots with little empathy or sympathy for others in this world and and indeed on local soap boxes.

16. xena-warrior

My favourite uncle was a Jewish refugee child. He paid this country and his family back a thousandfold for taking him in.

lizziescat likes this.
  17. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

In a RGB color space, hex #218000 is composed of 12.9% red, 50.2% green and 0% blue. Whereas in a CMYK color space, it is composed of 74.2% cyan, 0% magenta, 100% yellow and 49.8% black. It has a hue angle of 104.5 degrees, a saturation of 100% and a lightness of 25.1%. #218000 color hex could be obtained by blending #42ff00 with #000100. Closest websafe color is: #339900.

18. monicabilongame

The 218000th prime number is 3017689

19. monicabilongame

in 1921, there were 218,000 synagogue seats in New York City.

20. xena-warrior

Both things I didn't know before but do now :)
    Edit: not sure when I might be dragging it out of the neurological filing system (though who knows how hard pub quizzes will get?) but nonetheless... who knows when I might need to tie a double overhand knot?