1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

21 day test date mistake...

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Asta9, Apr 7, 2012.

1. My doctor has referred me for 21 day blood tests and an ultrsound as the first step into looking into why I'm not getting pregnant.
    I asked whether the 21 day test had to be on day 21 and he said no, sometime between when I ovulate and five days later. When I rang up they offered me an appointment this coming Tuesday, day 18, and I took it. I usually get clearblue positive day 15 or 16.
    Now I have read more about the test it seems I should have made the appointment on day 21, if not later for me, as my cycles are 31-33 days. It is supposed to be 7dpo.
    Of course I realised this last night and now they will not be open again until Monday or even Tuesday. If they will move the appointment back until Friday then problem solved I think, but if not, should I go anyway? It seems likely the progesterone result will point towards me not ovulating if have it too soon. However the other things they are testing for are probably not influenced so much by the date.
    Thanks for reading, Asta. I have tried to explain all this to DH and he has been no help!

2. My doctor has referred me for 21 day blood tests and an ultrsound as the first step into looking into why I'm not getting pregnant.
    I asked whether the 21 day test had to be on day 21 and he said no, sometime between when I ovulate and five days later. When I rang up they offered me an appointment this coming Tuesday, day 18, and I took it. I usually get clearblue positive day 15 or 16.
    Now I have read more about the test it seems I should have made the appointment on day 21, if not later for me, as my cycles are 31-33 days. It is supposed to be 7dpo.
    Of course I realised this last night and now they will not be open again until Monday or even Tuesday. If they will move the appointment back until Friday then problem solved I think, but if not, should I go anyway? It seems likely the progesterone result will point towards me not ovulating if have it too soon. However the other things they are testing for are probably not influenced so much by the date.
    Thanks for reading, Asta. I have tried to explain all this to DH and he has been no help!

3. Sorry, I can't help with answering your question, but just wanted to ask you something.
    I just wondered what else they're testing with the day 21 blood test? I recently asked my doctor to test my progesterone levels, as my LP is borderline short and I always spot for a few days before hand, and I've now had 2 early miscarriages. She surprised me by agreeing to do the test, but said she'd also test for a range of other possible causes.
    I had the 21 day blood test just over a week ago but they only tested progesterone on that one (came back normal yay, so I can stop banging on about that now, and my LP was 13 days this cycle so think the Agnus Castus is kicking in).
    Had a day 2 blood test taken yesterday and they're testing for loads of other things (took 6 vials of blood!. Your post though suggests they're testing more than just progesterone on day 21? Maybe mine are just being tested on the day 2 test, or perhaps they're testing different things for you as your reason is slightly different. Just curious!
    Hope you manage to sort out the dates for your test!!

4. The OV sticks are detecting an LH peak, not ovulation. LH peaks 24-48 hours before you ovulate. Day 18 does seem too early to get accurate results as your progesterone levels are going to be very low if you haven't ovulated yet (which, given the length of your cycles, is a possibility by day 18)

5. Thanks, Biodust. I understood about the opks so that is what I
    thought- too early. Actually I suspect it is at least 48 hours between
    my positive opks and ovulation. I just don't know whether to have the test or not, knowing it won't be accurate for progesterone levels. However I am also interested in the rest of the stuff. I suppose I just won't know until I get in touch with the hospital again.I was so keen to get it out of the way this holiday because it' so hard to get time off work.
    Complicated Bear: the paper they gave me says they are testing for
    Glucose (random)
    Liver function tests
    Luteinising hormone
    Prolactin
    Progesterone
    FSH
    TFT (T4 + TSH)
    UE+GFR
    Full blood count

6. I think accurate progesterone levels are important, LH spike doesn't mean you actually did ovulate but raised progesterone is pretty reliable for indicating that you did. Raised prolactin can stop you ovulating, I had this after a late miscarriage for several months and the doctor was pretty sure that I wouldn't get pg till they fell. Having said that I saw a doctor before this one who was pretty clueless about the menstrual cycle - I ended up teaching him a few things (Hormones of menstrual cycle are part of A level Biology course that I teach)!
    Fingers crossed everything looks normal for you

7. Thanks, Biodust.
    Although this doctor seemed like a nice guy, he didn't explain about the test clearly at all- or I wouldn't have picked such a silly date. If I hadn't started googling I'd have been none the wiser until I got some worrying results.

8. Thanks Asta, I don't have my paperwork anymore as I've had both tests now, but I think I am being tested for most of those things, just on day 2 not day 21. There was a couple on the list that I don't remember, but that might just be because we have slightly different reasons for being tested.

9. Your day 21 bloods really need to be done 7 days after you ovulate, or it won't give meaningful results.
    It's interesting they're testing all those other things on cd21 too - usually they're looked at on cd2.
    Good luck with rearranging the test if that's what you decide to do (& with the results too)

10. I have re-arranged the test for Friday, which is day 21. That isn't 7 dpo-more like between 3 and 5 but I couldn't really get time off next week so it will have to do. I'm just going to have to take some of the results with a pinch of salt. Perhaps I can get re-tested at a later date. I hope I get pregnant this month and won't need to!
    It does make me wonder whether the doctor knows what he's up to but heigh-ho. The scan and internal whatsit later in the month might be more instructive.

11. ITA76

ITA76 New commenter

How long have you been TTC? Fingers crosses it's this month for you!!

12. Hi, ITA76! We have only been trying since December. I'm just into the two week wait- this will be our fifth atempt. However I told the doctor it had been six months. [​IMG]
    You and I are the same age, and that's why I am nervous about it. I have also been nagged by various people to get on with it- including some cheeky colleagues!