1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

20minute secondary science Interview lesson

Discussion in 'Science' started by tami_lyn, May 23, 2011.

1. Hi Everyone,

I have to plan a 20minute lesson for an interview this week and wondered if I could nag the worlds of wisdom on here.
    Its secondary science (Lower ability yr 7) and can pick any topic of my choice. I know the whole school focus is progress, assessment and differentiation by outcome and the dept focus is using investigative approaches
    I have a few ideas tinkleing away but with such a broad spectrum Im struggling to find one thing to focus on!!
    I know with 20mins I have to keep it simple, showing definate progress and assessment.
    Any ideas would be great!!!!!

2. Hi Everyone,

I have to plan a 20minute lesson for an interview this week and wondered if I could nag the worlds of wisdom on here.
    Its secondary science (Lower ability yr 7) and can pick any topic of my choice. I know the whole school focus is progress, assessment and differentiation by outcome and the dept focus is using investigative approaches
    I have a few ideas tinkleing away but with such a broad spectrum Im struggling to find one thing to focus on!!
    I know with 20mins I have to keep it simple, showing definate progress and assessment.
    Any ideas would be great!!!!!

3. Do something simple. I would chose microbes and get them to use some sort of data in te tasks you set.

4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

20 minutes!

magnets and materials?

Test a whole range of objects to see if they are magnetic or not.

Get the kids to put them into two groups (too little time to write in a table).

Then assess by giving them some objects made from same materials but different (eg a paperclip instead of a nail, a lolly stick instead of a match etc and they can predict which group they should be in.

5. Link this to the idea of scientists sorting - classifying things - then ask each student to write on a post one example of where scientists classify things and stick it onto a piece of paper on the way out of the class - differentiation by outcome - ----
    you should get a minimum of the ideas they have met at KS2 - S,L,G for example
    but you could get more - vertebrates/invertebrates; periodic table, metals/non-metals etc etc