1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2020 - the last free election in the USA?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by monicabilongame, Feb 14, 2020.

1. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

The following article discusses whether Trumps authoritarian behaviour could signal the end of democratic elections in the USA. I don't know whether this would be the case, but I find it concerning that there seems to be a certain mirroring of Trump's behaviour here in the UK with Johnson and his puppet-master, Cummings. Thoughts, anyone?

https://www.independent.co.uk/voice...DxEO-vTyD_6WWVdjCSHssiSIT8#Echobox=1581703351

2. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

I thought that an enthusiastic member of the NRA would have taken matters into their own hands by now.

I'm obviously not condoning violence in any form, but Americans have form here.... God help us all if Trump is re-elected.

monicabilongame likes this.
  3. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

I think all the enthusiastic NRA members are far more likely to be Republican than Democrat

coffeekid likes this.
  4. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

trumpy is anti-democracy. He has no self-control and is almost certainly ADHD with a bit of narcissist sociopath flung in.
    But he knows his base. He knows the message to put out and his total intolerance of any dissenters and the public messy executions of those who disagree with him just endear him more to the gun toting nutcases who vote for him,.
    bojo is following in his footsteps. Look what he has achieved since coming into power. He has gone straight for those who defied him. The bbc will lose its license fee, the supreme court will be demoted to a mewling powerless committee and all of the leadership contenders are now gone from the cabinet. Sajid was sacked.

The democrats seem unable to compete with trumpy. Another trumpy whitehouse is inevitable.

5. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

He is, it seems, bonkers.

"The questions would arise at such opportune moments as “when Priebus was attempting to brief the president on matters of healthcare initiatives, foreign policy, or Republican legislative agenda”, they wrote.

“Are they mean to people?” Trump reportedly asked Priebus, perhaps thinking of badgers’ very long claws, which they use to dig the burrows that make their home. “Or are they friendly creatures?”

Trump would also demand to see photos of badgers, ask Priebus to give details on how badgers “work”, and wanted to know if they had a “personality” or were boring.

Priebus was also called upon to explain “how the critters function and behave, what kind of food they like, and how aggressive or deadly they could be when presented with perceived existential threats”.

Markay and Suebsaeng said Trump would frequently derail important policy discussions with questions about the animals.

“An obviously enthralled president would stare at Priebus as the aide struggled for sufficiently placating answers, all the while trying to gently veer the conversation back to whether we were going to do a troop surge in Afghanistan or strip millions of Americans of healthcare coverage,” they wrote".

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...d-trump-obsessed-with-badgers-new-book-claims

6. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

upload_2020-2-15_8-21-53.jpeg

Bojo is creating a Pilsudski cabinet, composed of 'new men', who have no power base of their own in Parliament, and are dependent on the PM's continued patronage, for which they are willing to be his mouthpieces.

7. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

Patronage for which they would sell their children.

Jolly_Roger15 likes this.
  8. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

"Democracy is over, the Republic has crumbled, and the Constitution is abolished because I have no vocabulary to express my political complaints in anything other than insane apocalyptic hyperbole".
    - Michael Tracey

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Is this the "end of democracy" from the same Mueller/Impeachment/end the Electoral College crowd?

Supported by the "3 year delay on the referendum result we didn't like"...

Yeah democracy... whatever...

10. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

US elections have not been open and transparent since at least Bush / Gore 2000
    Democracy in action:

Still not heard of any action on Kuennsberg knowing and announcing what happened in postal votes before the election here had even happened. Just wait until they start voter suppression.

11. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

12. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

US Elections used to feature routine voter suppression, where ethnic minority and other voters were unjustly deprived of their voted by eg "literacy tests". Now their modern equivalent is creeping in with demands for identity checks which they know full well will disenfranchise a disproportionate number of elderly and poor voters, who are more likely to be black and Democrat-voting in the states affected. Lists have been compiled which are full of mistakes, but the majority of people on them won't realise, until they come to vote that they were on it. Notoriously a cousin of Martin Luther King who marched at Selma found herself deprived of her vote and turned away from the polling centre in Georgia.
    Another method of disenfranchisement is to close polling stations in poorer areas. Already poor voters face longer queues, and now longer distances to get there in the first place.

13. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

He needs to move to Northampton.....
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-51474844

Superdrug badger was 'sheltering from Storm Ciara'

Actually, no, he shouldn't move to Northampton. I couldn't cope with him so close!!

Morninglover likes this.