1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

2020 KS2 SATS

Discussion in 'Primary' started by dicanio247, Jun 19, 2019.

1. dicanio247

dicanio247 New commenter

Evening all.

Does anyone anywhere have any idea whatsoever as to how progress from KS1 to KS2 will be measured from next academic year?

The current Y5 cohort are the first to use the new (ludicrous) working towards, expected etc descriptors at KS1 and as far as I am aware this means that the prior attainment groups previously used will need to change etc.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

2. atwoodfan

atwoodfan New commenter

Sorry, I have no idea. But maybe if enough people vote, the unions could boycott SATs next year?

3. dicanio247

dicanio247 New commenter

I'm not completely convinced that that approach is either viable or actually necessary.

I have no issue with completing the assessments as long as the expectation is clear from the outset. At is stands, the expectation is not clear and we have little idea as to how progress will be judged.

4. gerdmuller

gerdmuller New commenter

I have a vague recollection of someone once telling me about average point scores. So children who achieved whatever points/marks in Y2 would be expected to attain within a certain range for their scaled score in KS2.

But that may be my fuzzy memory.

5. dicanio247

dicanio247 New commenter

That would make some sense, but my understanding is that schools are under no obligation to report or even record internally scaled scores from KS1. Therefore - while that would be the most obvious solution - if the data isn't there, progress cannot be measured.

Perhaps someone with greater KS1 knowledge than me can confirm whether KS1 scaled scores were reported to local authorities etc.

6. cornflake

cornflake Established commenter

They didn't have to be.

7. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

It can’t be based on ks1 test scores. The data inputted is purely TA, so there cannot be any (detailed) PA bands, just whatever standard they were assessed as working at.

Whatever they knock together will change again soon enough, once the new Reception baseline scaled scores start feeding through.

And that’s something for us all to look forward to...

abacus1982 likes this.
  8. abacus1982

abacus1982 Established commenter

No scaled score reported from KS1. My best guess will be same as at moment but with significantly fewer prior attainment groups.

Pomza likes this.
  9. dicanio247

dicanio247 New commenter

I find it frustrating that we are going to start the new academic year with no idea what these children are expected to achieve.

Surely someone somewhere must have spotted the iceberg...

10. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

It shouldn’t be that confusing, if they were EXS at the end of KS1, they should be (at least) EXS at the end of KS2. Could be nice and simple.

11. dicanio247

dicanio247 New commenter

Yeah - it should be a doddle. Bit it hasn't been clarified- that's the frustrating thing.

12. bevdex

bevdex Star commenter

I would still bet a pound to a pinch of ***** that any targets will be greater than the scaled score achieved for ks1. I need to check FFt aspire to see if my predictions for next year are right.

13. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

There can be no external targets based on KS1 scaled scores, since these are not reported. FFT won't have the KS1 scores.

Pomza likes this.
  14. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Exactly. And KS1 test scores do not dictate the submitted TAs in any way.

15. dicanio247

dicanio247 New commenter

Indeed.

I agree though - there is no way that EXS at KS1 will translate to 100 at KS2.

16. abacus1982

abacus1982 Established commenter

I think it will follow exactly the same with PAG and then comparing scaled score at KS2 to the average scaled score for all children nationally in that PAG. There will obviously be fewer groups. Something along lines of:

GD in all 3
    GD in 2, EXS in 1
    GD in 1, EXS in 2
    EXS in all 3
    WT in 1, EXS in 2

etc etc etc

17. dicanio247

dicanio247 New commenter

I could see that happening.
    I did think about trying to make at least some predictions using the old PAG.
    E.g., GDS = old L3
    EXS = old 2a etc etc

Obviously wouldn't be correct but might just give us a clearer idea of where we should be headed.

18. dusty67

dusty67 New commenter

The issue is that a child who was recorded as expected at KS1 could have scored between 100 and 109 on their test.

As progress is currently measured on the scaled scores achieved in KS2, a score of 104 in KS2 for one child could represent a progress score of +4, for another -4. However, as only the grade expected was collected at KS1, the progress measure wont be refined enough to show which children may have made progress and which may have not.

Personally, I think the DFE bods currently have their fingers crossed that we boycott this year to give them even more time to bury their heads in the sand, I mean come up with a solution

19. Lucy2711

Lucy2711 Occasional commenter

There isn't a straightforward relationship between KS1 scaled scores and the TA (it need not be that a scaled score of 100-109 leads to EXS in the TA). As a result, it's even more fuzzy than @dusty67 suggests!

20. dicanio247

dicanio247 New commenter

Just thought I'd give this a bit a bump in case anyone hears anything in any one of the infernal meetings that will go on today...